Gas/Electric/Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I should have purchased my first house in about a 1 and a half weeks time. I am looking for advice on the handover of Gas and Electric.

My first question is - what is the process. Do i need to contact the utility companies on the day i move in? or do i need to do this before? Do i need to record the meters? Is this the same for the water company too?

My second question is- these are the current utility providers. Do i stick with them, or do i shop around!?

Gas - British Gas

Water - Thames Water

Electric - Southern Electric

Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
Gas - British Gas Serial w@nkers. I reckon you will find your Electricity supplier (Southern) will give you a better deal on your gas.

Water - Thames Water Dedicated onanists, also, but I reckon you are stuck with them as there is usually no option to change water supplier, so endure.

Electric - Southern Electric As above, they seem to go under the name Scottish & Southern these days and seemingly quite competitive with their pricing.

Good luck! ;)

find E.on and Scot/southern Energy are usually best for domestic tariffs in the south

steer well clear of N.Power and BG
although BG are good for Commercial electric (don't ask!!)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for responses, though i dont understand freddymercurystwin comments.

Ignore him, he's just being patronising. Now, pick up your phone book, preferably the yellow one and look up Gas suppliers and phone each one and ask about their tarrifs. Then do the same for Electricity suppliers. Or you could feed your details into one of those comparison sites and see what they come up with. Whatever you do, just stop taking the mick out of us!

yep go on line search u switch and simmilar comparason sites if they ask for more than your postcode [name address phone number ect ]egnore them as all they will do is give your details to other people/companys who will tout for your buisness

ask the previouse owners for there gas and electric consumption figures for the last 5 years if possible for comparason purposes

best deals are for combined [duel fuel] on line monthly d/debits
expect the savings to be less than half they claim as they often seem to forget any discounts you already get

the change over will take around 6 to 12 weeks

read your meters the day you move in and keep a copy a dated picture would be great in case off dispute phone them through on the day off moving in or within a week to save problems

other points never ever get your contents or building insurance with your mortgage provider as they are always more expensive [often 2 or more times the cost]

do not buy appliance insurance as its wasted money if you pay the eqivilent of the premiums into a seperate bank account you will be around 75% better off
in other words over the space of 5 years on average 25% off the kitty will be spent on repairs and renewals

Do i need to contact the utility companies on the day i move in?
Yes

Do i need to record the meters?
You don't need to do so as it is the previous owners' responsibility to inform the utility companies that they are moving and give them a Final reading. But I would take one as soon as you walk in, in case they have forgotten.

Is this the same for the water company too?
Yes

I hope you had the heating and electric tested and you solicitor asked the vendors for info about utility costs, servicing, maintenance agreements etc.

thanks for advice.
i must admit i did not have the heating and electric tested.
the vendor passed away 9 months ago, so certain information is unknown.

the vendor passed away 9 months ago
Then he/she is not the vendor!

As this is obviously a probate sale, it is even more important that you get meter readings when you move in, as the deceased previous owner's relatives or solicitor are unlikely to do so. Take this up with your solicitor.

Gas - British Gas

Water - Thames Water

Electric - Southern Electric

As far as I know, EBICO give you the best deal, they are a not for profit organisation, strange as that may sound.
Biggest advantage is that you will not be charged more if you just pay when the bill comes in.

Whoever you go with, always get both from one company.
Never go with british gas; they generate more complaints than any other company in the gas industry and have been repeatedly caught purposely misleading the customer. They wiggle the figures in such a way that it seems like a very good deal, but it isn't.
Percentages can show anything you want them to show, what counts is the actual bill. And buying gas from british gas is NOT a good deal.
Write down meter readings the day you move in.
You MUST notify the supplier of your choice that you have moved in.
Not doing so is a criminal offence; don't think it is quite nice getting free power; you don't.
You can expect a letter from british gas welcoming you at your new address and telling you they have processed the new details.
It is a scam , nothing but a sneaky way to get you signed up. Choose a supplier and they will take care of things, and explain what you have to do.

Sponsored Links
Back