Gas engineers not interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gas cookers need to be installed "competently" which covers more than just having a leak-free connection. There are several other issues.
That means you need a Gas Safe Registered fitter.
Once it has been correctly installed, if it has a bayonet connector the owner is permitted to disconnect and reconnect it.
They do quite often leak when you do that, though.
It's less likely to leak if a GSR person fitted it or checked it recently.

We don't permit gas safety instruction/advice on this forum

Mod (GSR)

=================================================

I recently ordered a new free standing gas cooker which is due for delivery tomorrow. Last Thursday I was given the delivery date and as soon as I knew this, I started looking for a local gas safe registered engineer to fit a new flexible and do any safety checks required.

I initially contacted five by email asking for a quote but had no replies. I then contacted them all by phone but had to leave a message. No one got back to me. I then used a couple of the tradesmen search sites but had no replies. This morning I have contacted yet another company but again had to leave a message and I am not building up my hopes of getting a reply.

What the hell is going on? How do I find someone to do this simple job? I live in the south of Cumbria in Ulverston.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Someone on here may respond to you if from near your area. Have you asked the appliance supplier if they could install it?

They did offer an installation service but I have some work I want to do in the area once the old cooker has gone so was hoping to get someone in the following day once I had finished in the area and the cooker could go in and stay in. If I had known how difficult getting a local engineer was going to be, I may have taken up the option.

Is it not something you can add on?

Sponsored Links
The main job I want to do is to renew the edging on the laminate worktops either side of the cooker. I also want to do a thorough clean of the area and clean out the extractor hood. I could have had the cooker fitted and then pulled it out again to do these jobs but I didn't foresee any problems getting a local engineer in afterwards.

I always believed it to be a no no. I am a retired submarine commissioning engineer so I am not an idiot when it comes to HP gas systems. However, this time I thought I would go by the book and get someone in!!!

===================================
gas work isn't just about leaks.
It IS a no no for diy.
Mod

It can't be impossible to find someone as there was a guy posting the other day asking why there was a glut of gas safe engineers in Cumbria. Have you tried further afield than Ulverston, Barrow & Dalton. Perhaps they are all busy at the moment post covid.

I am waiting for a couple of replies today otherwise I may look further afield tomorrow. My previous two cookers didn't come fitted with a flexible so I wasn't expecting this one to have one fitted either (great if it did). I have the usual bayonet connection behind the cooker.

======================
Even if it did you do not just plug a cooker in.
You need the installation to be correct in several aspects.

I am a retired submarine commissioning engineer
I though they just "plopped in the water" -if it sinks, its working :D

you could try asking on facebook in a local group --you usually have to ask to join but most will let you in, explain you problem and see if somebody can help

and they often have a few people that could recommend somebody really local

otherwise try nextdoor

If you really want it done properly and legally, call out an emergency plumber. You'll pay through the nose, but at least they'll come when you want them to.

"I though they just "plopped in the water" -if it sinks, its working"

You can't argue with that. The only boat you want to sink. As long as it comes up again, all's good

My daughter-in-law works for one of the big kitchen installers in the North West. She is going to speak to one of their gas fitters but I may have to wait until next week before he could come round. Not a problem while we are still in salad season.

My biggest problem is not whether someone can do the job or not, I'm sure many of them are very busy. It would just be nice for them to get back to me and say they can't do the job at the moment. It's just good manners really.

As for an emergency plumber, I'm not in so much of a hurry that I am going to pay what they charge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back