Gas engineers not interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Not many adventures I'm afraid. It looks a lot more exciting on the telly. Thankfully we didn't have any murders on board although there were some you would have liked to murder. :D:D

No its not if you are competent and not being paid
I think competence when it comes to gas is a lot harder to prove than with electricity.
I have never done my own gas work, but have experience with lab gasses, including some nasty pyrophorics and methane/hydrogen mixes.
I employed a Gas Safe fitter to install a hob - he was using a blowtorch to solder new connections to one side of the isolation valve and didn't turn the supply off to the other. I was getting ready to run when the solder started dripping out of the existing connections!
In this case, I absolutely knew I could have done a better, safer and neater job, I could have borrowed a manometer and leak checked.
Could I prove competence though, maybe not!

Sponsored Links
This is an ideal opportunity for me to ask...

What law? Can you please quite the exact law and the part of it hat you suggest would be broken by a homeowner fitting their own flexi pipe on a cooker?

Not arguing against you, just want to know the exact law - cheers.

What law?

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998

Qualification and supervision
3.—(1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.

Cheers, that clarifies for me that you do not have to be gas registered etc. to fit the bayonet fitting pipe in the self sealing receptacle.

So if the op got the pipe fitted to the cooker by the supplier he could plug it in himself then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back