Gas Fire not lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread but as it involves gas, thought it might be.....

I've just moved into a house and seem unable to light the gas fire. Previous owners don't seem to have left instruction manual. I've got photos so will try upload if necessary.

Only info I have is a label stating "Royal Cozyfires LFE" and other corner of label states "Crosslee PLC, Flint, Clwyd".

If I turn the control to ignition and press the button the pilot light ignites but doesn't stay on..... As soon as I turn the control towards another setting the pilot light goes out.

Not sure if I'm just being a bit thick.....Any ideas ?

Oh, and just to add.... I can't hear any gas noise when I turn control. There are a couple of screws on the gas supply to the left side so don't know if fire has been turned off by previous owner for some reason. I didn't want to try to turn either of the screws too hard because I like my house the way it is..... in one piece

Sponsored Links
I think that Crosslee may have made an early condensing boiler called the Trisave which caused them a lot of problems and made them go out of business.

The gas fire may have been turned off at the supply point.

The previous owners should have advised you if the fire was not working.

You may be better getting an RGI to come and service/check the fire.

If you search for an RGI close to you then you might just find one to come free of charge to see if he can light it.

Tony

Royal Cosyfires are still trading you can contact them on the following number they may be able to advise you or possibly mail you a user manual for the model you have

Sales & Advice: 01422 203 555

If you search for an RGI close to you then you might just find one to come free of charge to see if he can light it.

Tony, what ARE you on? Would you visit to light a fire free of charge? Especially when you consider that as you have now got it working, you have to check the flue and gas rate or burner pressure, and carry out a flue and spillage test. Why raise a customers expectations?

OP. My advice to anyone, when taking over a property containing gas appliances of which you have no knowledge ( of their service history) ,is to get an appropiate Gas Safe RGI to fully service and safety test them. Seriously, it could save a life.

Use this to find a suitable guy (or gal):

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

Sponsored Links
Many do!

One om here is posting 5m of five core wire to someone who needs it all totally free!

Merely lighting a fire with user controls doen not constitute work!

I would always check flue though but I dont visit free myself.

Merely lighting a fire with user controls doen not constitute work!

Ok Tony, fair enough, but I beleive you are wrong regarding "work". True, if Joe Bloggs lights the fire, that isn't work. But you are a RGI, and the punter can't get the fire working. Just turning the fire on, as a RGI, when you walk away, the user is justified in expecting it to be safe.

Scenario: You go along, light the pilot, and leave without doing the whole rigmarole, The user is subsequently taken to hospital with CO poisoning, and he talks about the nice RGI who called out for nothing to "fix" his fire

What happens next?[/wiki]

Found an instruction manual online. It may be that I just haven't held the ignition control in for long enough. The instructions say 15 seconds so will give it another try.

But if I do need it looking at by a professional....can anybody recommend one near south Leeds ?

Fireman, those are the reasons that I dont go and do little things free unless I particularly like the owner. Its because we tend to assume a professional classification because we are registered.

But if you or I were to stand behind the owner and tell him what to do to the ordinary controls then I think it would be difficult for anyone to claim we were doing gas work work!

A similar senario related to cooker hoses. An owber cab disconnect and reconnect for cleaning.

If an RGI disconnects then he almost certainly has to do a tightness test afterwards!

Agile";p="2589015 said:
Fireman, those are the reasons that I dont go and do little things free unless I particularly like the owner. Its because we tend to assume a professional classification because we are registered.
But if you or I were to stand behind the owner and tell him what to do to the ordinary controls then I think it would be difficult for anyone to claim we were doing gas work work!
Agile";p="2589015 said:
cisely,

Precisely, Tony. But you suggsted to the OP that he may find a random RGI prepared to call around FOC tolight it. He would have to be nuts, frankly. Some , however, on here would claim to be willing, in the hope of further paid work.

OP. I would definitely recomend to have ypur appliances checked - you have no idea what problems may be lurking around, unless you know thay have been maintained. I don't live anywhere near Leeds, so I am not prospecting :) )

Found an instruction manual online. It may be that I just haven't held the ignition control in for long enough. The instructions say 15 seconds so will give it another try.

Yes you normally have to get the pilot lit, hold the control down, then turn to the desired temperature (or max). It's not too dissimilar to how an oven or grill works.
If the pilot still goes out it's probably a thermocouple that needs cleaning or replacing (not a DIY job).

hi just wondering if you have managed to solve the problem - i have the same thing with my gas fire too same make- its my dads old house but the fire is a newish model on a new build bungalow - i got the fire to come on last year at a strggle but now its igniting but then its not coming on afater that

as its igniting and showing a blue flame on the ignition thing means theres gas but the thing is not firing up - i think my dad moved the coals around last year so it could be that and my bf says it might need a special gas hoover to clean it -

i think my dad attempted to clean it himself at some stage but i think ill have to get the gas man down when i can afford it

if you have any suggestiong let me know

No, I haven't done anything about it yet as I've been busy and it's not been too cold

hi just wondering if you have managed to solve the problem - i have the same thing with my gas fire too same make- its my dads old house but the fire is a newish model on a new build bungalow - i got the fire to come on last year at a strggle but now its igniting but then its not coming on afater that

as its igniting and showing a blue flame on the ignition thing means theres gas but the thing is not firing up - i think my dad moved the coals around last year so it could be that and my bf says it might need a special gas hoover to clean it -

i think my dad attempted to clean it himself at some stage but i think ill have to get the gas man down when i can afford it

if you have any suggestiong let me know

A special gas hoover ?????????? is that Henry ??? if your father has moved the coals around please get a registered RGI to have a look or at the very least arrange the coals the way it says in the user manual before using

yes my bf also took them off to have a look but the on line manual shows you exactly where to put them back so ill do that when the kids are back at schhol - thing is my printer also broke down when i moved in so i need to print off the manaul and take it to where the fire to do it proper.

my sister says that she thinks my dad took the coals off at some stage and attempted to clean it but he died last year so cant get the full info on the fire -

the gas men do have a specail hoover thing to clean the gas fires your not supposed to use a normal carpet one as it would be too strong but not sure what its called so i just said 'gas hoover thing'

still cold - if i dont get this fixed next year im having a smokless solid fuel fire put in where its neither gas or electic - but thats very complicated to have done

let me know how you get on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back