Gas fire question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Sorry I know there are regs surrounding gas installations, so this is not strictly DIY, but just wondering if anyone can advise please.

My Mum-in-law has a living flame gas fire in her lounge. Her granddaugher's ex-partner picked it up a couple years ago on eBay for her, but it was properly installed by a gas-registered plumber. Its a remote control type to save her getting on her hands and knees to start it.

With the weather turning colder, she tried to light it last week, and it initially ignites, but will not fire up to full heat - it just bleeps and goes out again. She called a plumber/gas fitter in to have a look, and he says the "internal battery" in the fire (not the remote) has died, and as that particular model is obsolete, he may not be able to get a replacement, and even then it would be around £70 + VAT, so might be cheaper in the long run to get a new fire.

Now I'm not convinced, and have told her to get someone else in for a 2nd opinion, but this plumber is a "friend of a friend" and she is reluctant to not use him for the work. I'm wondering if he's pulling a fast one to get the sale and installation of a new fire out of her. Would it be likely that the battery would no longer be available? I don't know the exact make or model, but would have thought all these fires use similar internals, like most appliances these days.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
The batteries for these fires can be that expensive.The exact make and model would help a great deal to give further advice.

Thanks for reply. Sorry its taken a while to get back, but now have the make and model of the fire. Its a Sirocco 2000 16" Streamline 3 REM, serial no: S16-N-RCT-10.06-27780-S.

She spoke to the plumber on phone again yesterday and he says he is still having trouble getting the battery as this model is obsolete. I have been online and found a site for Sirocco Fires and sent them a query, but in the meantime, any advice you can give would be appreciated. Thanks,

Hi Cornish Maid I have just noticed your request. The symptons which you describe sound very much like a battery with not enough power to hold open the solenoid valve - probably a lithium battery as 45yearsagasman says about £65-70.
I have the telephone number for Sirocco UK at my shop. If you want to call me at Hertfordshire Fireplace Gallery on 01707 657070 I can give you their number. :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply. Got a response from my mail to Sirocco, stating the battery in that fire is no longer available as the manufacturers went bust about 3 years ago and they have exhausted the remaining stock they had.

However, MIL spoke to her plumber again, suggesting that I could try to find a replacement battery online, and he came round the next day, removed the battery as a pattern and has now miraculously found a company who can supply them - me thinks he though he might miss out on a sale if I found one instead :LOL:

He has ordered and is coming back to fit it at the end of the week, so hopefully problem solved.

Thanks for your help.

Following on from my earlier posts above, plumber finally came and fitted new battery to the fire today. But apparently he has told MIL that it only has a lifespan of 12 months! I find this hard to believe. She doesn't use the fire throughout the summer anyway, so I guess this will extend its life, but surely she shouldn't have to replace it every year? Any advice please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back