Gas fire ventilation requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the ventilation requirements for a Potterton Seafire 3 natural gas heater? Does anyone have manufacturers info on it? Are ventilation rules applied retrospectively? I THINK it is 5.4kw (1800BTU) but I do not have any documentation on it. When it was installed by the local council many years ago no vent was installed but I'm told by a gas fitter that it now needs a vent. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Generally a gas fire dont need a vent upto 7kw unless manfacturers instructions say otherwise.

Did the guy say how he came to this conclusion?

Seafire standard 4 radiant fire if memory serves me right? .Is it fitted in lounge with no other gas appliance in there.
If so then no vent req , what reason did he say it needed a vent

Not aware the seafire 3 was a potterton unit although it could well have been rebranded or taken over by them, but the economic seafire 3 5.4kw radiant fire requires no vent.

Sponsored Links
Generally a gas fire dont need a vent upto 7kw unless manfacturers instructions say otherwise.

Did the guy say how he came to this conclusion?

I have read various postings here concerning less than 7kw but there does not seem to be general agreement. Many say it is model dependent. If only someone had the manufacturers instructions to confirm it...
The heating engineer stated it simply as a fact despite me telling him that no vent had been installed at the time of fitting and nothing in the lounge has changed since then. I was in no position to argue with him since I dont have installation instructions or requirements info. Thats why I also wondered if new gas/ventilation regs can 'overule' manufacturers instructions?

Seafire standard 4 radiant fire if memory serves me right? .Is it fitted in lounge with no other gas appliance in there.
If so then no vent req , what reason did he say it needed a vent

This is definitely a Seafire 3, thats the only thing about the model I can be positive about! It is fitted in a lounge with no other gas appliance in there. If relevant, the lounge has secondary double glazing, one door leads to a hallway and stairs and another door to a kitchen.

Find a proper gas engineer!
The figure of 7Kw was decided on long ago, when houses were a lot draughtier than today. The figure still applies to new builds which actually undergo whole house pressure testing for airtightness.
But no matter what the manufacturers instructions say, the final decision on ventilation depends on the spillage test.
So check the data plate. If less than 7Kw, no ventilation required in theory. Then check for spillage, and if necessary install suitable ventilation.
Any competent gas fitter will know exactly how to carry out these checks.

Testing a gas fire isn't straightforward if you don't have the manufacturer's instructions.
An awful lot of (mostly older) gas fitters think they know best and
grahamderek said:
will know exactly how to carry out these checks.
Yeah right. A lifetime in the gas industry doesn't make you psychic.
Without the MI, you don't know all sorts of things.

Does this one have an ASD, which the Product Recall Notice I found, requires?

Testing a gas fire isn't straightforward if you don't have the manufacturer's instructions.
An awful lot of (mostly older) gas fitters think they know best and
grahamderek said:
will know exactly how to carry out these checks.
Yeah right. A lifetime in the gas industry doesn't make you psychic.
Without the MI, you don't know all sorts of things.

Does this one have an ASD, which the Product Recall Notice I found, requires?

The engineer is in his 40's and is ex-Vokera.
What is an ASD and where can I see the Product Recall Notice please?

The seafire 3 ended up under the Main banner which was then taken over by Baxi so you could try phoning them to see if they have a instruction booklet they could send.

How old is the fire

Chris, are we still not taught that if no MI's are available the room the appliance is in must be fitted with a 100cm2 vent anyway, as we cannot then prove if one is needed or not, regardless of the data label stating the INPUT Kw? :confused:

Chris, are we still not taught that if no MI's are available the room the appliance is in must be fitted with a 100cm2 vent anyway, as we cannot then prove if one is needed or not, regardless of the data label stating the INPUT Kw? :confused:

I've never heard that before Dave except for a dfe fire.

The seafire 3 ended up under the Main banner which was then taken over by Baxi so you could try phoning them to see if they have a instruction booklet they could send.

How old is the fire

Approx 15 years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back