gas fires...advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a 1920's terraced house that I want to rent out, but want to check if the gas fire is ok.

About 20years ago, the chimney was taken out, and a 4" liner was inserted. The fire is an old type, screwed to the wall with no surround or hearth.

Is this ok, if not what do I need to do to rectify it, or what are my options for changing the fire to another one

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I`m pretty certain almost all gas fires reqire a 5 inch liner if one is used,but the manufactureres instructions should say,if you still have them.
Either way get a gas safe registered installer in who has the gas fire qualification,to do a full service(paying particular attention to the chimney)and issue a landlords safety certificate(all gas appliances have to be checked annually in rented properties).

Before renting out a property you need to get three things!

An electrical safety certificate, a gas safety certificate and an energy performance certificate.

The gas engineer will test the fire and particularly the flue for safety.

I went to do a cert last week and the owner said she had a fire that was not being used. I explained that we charge more to test a gas fire and she said that she doen not need it testing because she does not use it.

When I arrived I told her that if she was not using it and I was not to test it would she mind if I capped off the supply. She said that she wanted it left ON in case she wanted to use it. I explained that I could not leave it connected but untested in case she used it and gassed herself.

She finally agreed to pay the extra and i did a cheap service for her. Luckily it was not that old and was found to be working fine after the service.

Tony

I`m pretty certain almost all gas fires reqire a 5 inch liner if one is used,but the manufactureres instructions should say,if you still have them.
Either way get a gas safe registered installer in who has the gas fire qualification,to do a full service(paying particular attention to the chimney)and issue a landlords safety certificate(all gas appliances have to be checked annually in rented properties).

Thanks for the reply.

No instructions are available, house was passed onto me from my parents.

I was just reading up and thought about buying a cheap electric wall mounted fire, which would mean a fire is present, it would cover up the existing firespace and no checks on it need to be done.

I will be also changing the freestanding gas cooker to an electric oven/gas hob.

I will get a landlords certificate for the gas combi boiler and the gas hob

Sponsored Links
If the fire has the original data plate the manufacturers ( if still around ) will probably have the instructions on their web site or can email it to you.

In all probability it does need a 5" flue liner but only the MI can confirm that.

Tony

If the fire has the original data plate the manufacturers ( if still around ) will probably have the instructions on their web site or can email it to you.

In all probability it does need a 5" flue liner but only the MI can confirm that.

Tony

I will have a look, its either calor or valor

My advice would be-
Get the Fires taken out prior to renting -you can always fit a wall mounted electric feature fire instead Gas fires and rented property are not two phrases that go well together! ;)

Before renting out a property you need to get three things!

An electrical safety certificate, a gas safety certificate and an energy performance certificate.

Tony

You need a valid gas safety certificate, these last 12 months, but you need to get a safety check upon change of tenant.

You also need a valid energy performane certificate, these last 10 years.

Currently there is no legal obligation to provide an electrical safety certificate on a rental property.

Thats interesting.

Most agents in London consider that an electrical certificate IS required!

However, looking on the Gov site is says:-

Electrical installation safety

At the beginning of each new tenancy, you should ensure that electrical installations - like fixed wiring - are safe and well maintained. Any electrical appliances you supply to tenants - like cookers and kettles - should be safe for them to use.

You should carry out regular inspections of fixed electrical installations - like sockets and light fittings - every five years. You should also arrange, at least once a year, for a qualified electrician to carry out a portable appliance testing (PAT) safety test on any portable electrical equipment you provide for tenants, like kettles. The PAT tester will give you a dated certificate and put stickers on the plugs of appliances to show that they are safe.

I suppose that can be interpreted any way but if the person inspecting is not qualified then it would seem that requirement has not been satisfied.

Certainly agents expect a certificate every five years for electrical safety.

Tony

My advice would be-
Get the Fires taken out prior to renting -you can always fit a wall mounted electric feature fire instead Gas fires and rented property are not two phrases that go well together! ;)

That would be my advice too.

Thats interesting.

Most agents in London consider that an electrical certificate IS required!

However, looking on the Gov site is says:-

Electrical installation safety

At the beginning of each new tenancy, you should ensure that electrical installations - like fixed wiring - are safe and well maintained. Any electrical appliances you supply to tenants - like cookers and kettles - should be safe for them to use.

You should carry out regular inspections of fixed electrical installations - like sockets and light fittings - every five years. You should also arrange, at least once a year, for a qualified electrician to carry out a portable appliance testing (PAT) safety test on any portable electrical equipment you provide for tenants, like kettles. The PAT tester will give you a dated certificate and put stickers on the plugs of appliances to show that they are safe.

I suppose that can be interpreted any way but if the person inspecting is not qualified then it would seem that requirement has not been satisfied.

Certainly agents expect a certificate every five years for electrical safety.

Tony

I think it is more geared towards electrical appliances provided by the landlord, I keep this to a bare minimum.....anything that you provide you have to pat test & maintain.

I have over 10 rental properties managed by different agents, I have never been asked for a periodic inspection cert.

Although it is not a legal requirement, in hindsight it is probably a good idea to get the electrics checked.

For private residential rental properties electrical safety certificates are required when electrical work is carried out by a competent electrical contractor/electrician. However, it is good practice to undertake checks on an annual basis by a qualifed electrician although there is no legal requirement.

For HMO property (dependant on the Local Authority policy) electrical safety certificates generally have to be undertaken every 5 years. There also may be more stringent electrical safety certification/checks for social rented accomodation. You should check with your local authority if you are renting to social housing or your property is an HMO(House with Multiple Occupants

Gas fire is going to be removed and replaced with an electric wall hung plasma type which should cover the existing space

I have a 1920's terraced house that I want to rent out, but want to check if the gas fire is ok.
That will all be sorted with the lgsc

... what are my options for changing the fire to another one
Best advice: don't. Fires ( like all open flued appiances ) are very uneconomical, potentially very dangerous if something fails, and create a 24/7/365 draft.
Cap it off and close the chimney.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back