gas hob in kitchen opening onto garden room

Sponsored Links
Can't anyone read the Gas book??! My copy to hand is the third edition but states clearly that in cases where the room >10m2 volume but has no window opening to the outside that alternative mechanical extract can be used. It say if the rooom has no natural light then to switch the extract fan on with the light with a 15 minute overun, but if it is a naturally lit room , then a manually switched fan with no overun is OK. The output of the fan has to be 30 litres /second if adjacent to cooker, or 60 litres/second elsewhere in the room. This equates to a good 150mm kitchen extract fan vented to the outside air, or a fairly standard extract hood vented to the outside air.

We are talking here not about combustion air, but the requirement to get rid of steam and cooking smells from the room.

I have had two instances recently where customers have been told by Gas Safe engineers that they can't have gas cookers in there re-furbed internal kitchens, one even had an 150mm kitchen extract already fitted and venting to the outside air.

...where the room >10m2 volume but has no window opening to the outside that alternative mechanical extract can be used.

that "alternative" is the key, I've read several documents but it was never clear to me whether the various forms of ventilation were in alternative or all necessary.
Anyway, I finally found a local engineer who will come and have a look today, I'll post his advice

Sponsored Links
Ok, the guy came, and said in his opinion there is no problem: the kitchen is big enough that it doesn't need any vents and the window opening onto the garden room is enough as long as there is no door between it and the garden. I'm probably still going to install an extractor hood, to get rid of the greasy vapours, because the existing extractor seems a bit wheezy. Also it doesn't hurt that a hood over the cooker looks really nice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back