Gas installation - look at this

oh you the man, get off your high horse pal! am not having a go at you, yes those things are important but it is so not at risk to have a badly fitted PRV or is it? Am not arguing either that it could be dangerous because it could, especially when they cannot even be bothered to pipe the thing up.

Sadly your average ESP operative probably wouldn't know one end of a boiler from the other. But if you say it is NCS then wouldn't you really need to cut thing off as it is not fitted to MI? I mean how can you have something that is NCS when there is a standard out?

I found one that was not connected and had a socket right under the boiler for it to drip on it so could i label that as AR? But AR means you should turn the appliance off and i like to make sure am totally in the right before i do that

Sponsored Links
oh you the man, get off your high horse pal! am not having a go at you, yes those things are important but it is so not at risk to have a badly fitted PRV or is it? Am not arguing either that it could be dangerous because it could, especially when they cannot even be bothered to pipe the thing up.

Sadly your average ESP operative probably wouldn't know one end of a boiler from the other. But if you say it is NCS then wouldn't you really need to cut thing off as it is not fitted to MI? I mean how can you have something that is NCS when there is a standard out?

I found one that was not connected and had a socket right under the boiler for it to drip on it so could i label that as AR? But AR means you should turn the appliance off and i like to make sure am totally in the right before i do that

View media item 11522

oh you the man, get off your high horse pal! am not having a go at you,
never entered my mind, neither did it occur to me to get on a high horse, was just reporting how I see it.
yes those things are important but it is so not at risk to have a badly fitted PRV or is it?
IF elbow points down and not back to wall and is above a window or door.
Am not arguing either that it could be dangerous because it could, especially when they cannot even be bothered to pipe the thing up.

Some of the above seems confusing, have you a better way of puting it in the cold light of day?

the way the lead pipe is terminated without an approved fitting. It is classed as an open end and as such is Imediately Dangerous which means that the gas supply has to be capped off until it is put right.

If the pipe has been crimped and properly soldered or wiped then surely it isn't ID. We don't take out unions wiped into a taft joint do we? Oviousely we would remove the lead. Lets face it tot may have gone down but it is still woth the effort. ;)

Sponsored Links
:D :D :D

I thought so.

I did get your point though about the ncs being a bad description. We all know more often than not what we are looking at was fitted not to the standards of that day either.

In the days of Ye Olde Lead pipe there was no such animal as a stop end. The pipe would be flattened and filed at an angle and then soldered. NCS unless its leaking I'd say. It is undersized as well so it could be AR'd at the installers discretion. I wouldnt AR it from what I've seen but maybe the next 10 guys would.

A new pipe run would be recommended there as it should be a minimum of 22mm from the meter to within 1 metre of the boiler. Lead pipes aren't illegal. Its just good practice to get them out when you can.

Most people have somehow thought the OP is a prospective tenant!

I am pretty sure that he is really a dodgey landlord who wants to rent out his property without getting all the gas system brought up to current standards!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back