Gas installer not gas safe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a new boiler installed by a limited company who have employed an outsider to fit the machine. He's due to complete the works today. Whilst talking to him yesterday, I discovered that he wasn't an accredited fitter. I spoke to the company who said that he was not gas safe but that they intended to get in a gas safe expert at the end of the installation to sign off the installation. Is that allowed?

Sponsored Links
no is the short answer, did he install the flue and gas pipe?

He has fitted the gas pipe and is due to fit the flue today today. He's going to drill into the wall with a special drill bit which he didn't have with him yesterday. I wonder if I should contact gas safe about this matter.

Sponsored Links
But the real culprit would be the registered engineer who would illegally sign it off !

I have to say that in my view you should have waited until he signed it off which would have been with his registration number.

You almost risk having no new boiler working over Christmas!

Although its very likely that someone from this forum might help you out.

Tony

How did I guess?

The reality is that some/many builders get unregistered people to fit plumbing and including boilers. Many don't even know that they are doing anything wrong ( even if they can speak English ) then he has a tame registered person who ( illegally ) signs off the installation as his own.

Those who sign off for others are often what I call third world people.

BF (OP): Did you ever get your downstairs neighbour to sort out the fire hoods for the lamps?

I think some of you need to talk to gas safe regarding post commissioning a boiler install. The only persons who have committed an offence under the installation and use regulations are the building company who have knowingly engaged an unregistered person [allegedly] to preform work as defined in said regs and the unregistered person actually undertaking the work.

To post commission and register an installation is not an offence. the person doing so however is held responsible for the correctness of the installation.

And I would agree that such situations do indeed blight our industry.

Last edited:
But the real culprit would be the registered engineer who would illegally sign it off !

I have to say that in my view you should have waited until he signed it off which would have been with his registration number.

You almost risk having no new boiler working over Christmas!

Although its very likely that someone from this forum might help you out.

Tony

So you think the OP should have allowed illegal gas work to be carried out in their house then reported it?

Personally I think they should have punched him in the face and kicked him out :rolleyes:

What about new build ? Common for someone to first fix gas, then someone else second fix boiler !!! Just saying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back