(Gas leak) Fitting new kitchen (1st problem...)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried to find the best section to post my concern in, but decided to start a thread in case I need more assistance. After disconnecting the gas/electric cooker via the bayonet connection, and having used some soapy water on the supply pipe outlet, there appears to be a slight leak (a few very small bubbles). I've turned off the gas supply but considering I'll be working in the kitchen up to the point of getting the new integrated cooker connected by a CORGI Gas Fitter, I'm unsure if it's safe to keep working around the outlet as is, or if I can remedy the problem independently to save money?

Any advice is naturally appreciated... :)

Sponsored Links
Though it sounds like a fairly easy fix to diy, by law us mere mortals are not allowed to touch gas services, Maybe the guy you are getting to do your install will come and make safe for you.

Unless of course you keep the gas isolated at the meter until such times the gas safe engineer is needed.

Though it sounds like a fairly easy fix to diy, by law us mere mortals are not allowed to touch gas services, Maybe the guy you are getting to do your install will come and make safe for you.

Unless of course you keep the gas isolated at the meter until such times the gas safe engineer is needed.

The only problem there is that I'll have no HW from the boiler during shutdown. :confused:

With a gas leak the ONLY advice is to turn off at the meter until you can get a gas safe engineer!

Sponsored Links
... After disconnecting the gas/electric cooker via the bayonet connection, and having used some soapy water on the supply pipe outlet, there appears to be a slight leak (a few very small bubbles).

A gas leak is a gas leak; get a RGI to make it safe.

getting the new integrated cooker connected by a CORGI Gas Fitter
Corgi have been booted from gas safety work, and are now openly a very commercial company. People can still be "corgi registered" and show you a card, but it means nothing. You could become corgi registered yourself, as long as you are willing to pay the money and pass a perfunctory test.

What you need today, is Gas Safe Register-ed people.

Actually you cannot become "CORGI registered" unless you are first Gas Safe registered.

Otherwise it would be a cheap solution to gas registration.

Actually you cannot become "CORGI registered" unless you are first Gas Safe registered.

unless you have register boilers with them then can be more expensive :eek:

WRONG!! you can be corgi registered for plumbing only!

OP plug the cooker back in, then disconnect again and recheck. most likely the bayonet hasn't sealed correctly, it happpens occassionally when the self sealing part is misaligned. failing that ask a Gassafe engineer to attend - you should be able to get someone to do it (we would charge £35 if we could fit it in with other calls in the same area)

ring 0800 111 999
they come out confirm it and it free then contact an engineer if nessacry

The Engineer arrived within the time allocated, problem fixed at no cost and now I can crack on again! A big thanks to you for your very helpful suggestion...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back