Gas man said he would let me work with him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh really ! And the very first picture shows a complete lack of knowledge and experience ........ and someone saw fit to publish that image !!!!

"far wider experience than the average domestic plumber will ever have." Yeah right all the army trained chaps I've met are ok guys but seem to be lacking in experiance and skill.
You mean lacking the experience and skill to recognise the tricky or unprofitable job, and not return any calls until the customer goes elsewhere? :whistle:

Sponsored Links
You mean lacking the experience and skill to recognise the tricky or unprofitable job, and not return any calls until the customer goes elsewhere? :whistle:

Oh well if that's your work ethic that's your buisness who am I to comment.

I guess the camera man was not a plumber and the plumber may have been a model.

The few ex-military electronics people ( communications mainly ) I have met were very competant engineers

Nah probably taken in a training centre of a trainee supervised by instructors, passing that image as fit for publication.

Three weeks ago dealing with an army trainee.........nice chap, he admitted his lack of experiance and in the time we had I gave him a few pointers, he asked if I could give him my no in case he needed advice, no problem. There's no substitute for experiance.

The point I'm making is that from what I've seen your statement isn't backed up by what I've observed. That's not a criticism of ex army personnel by the way.

Sponsored Links
plumbing and heating trade has become much more high tech in the last 20 (???) odd years in particular the boiler / electronics side .

like many other thing's I suppose ??

one time of day u turned up at a garage with an issue with your motor & some bloke came out with spanners and oily over all's

now he comes out in a suit with a lap top

:)

also all these high tech save the planet boilers that are kinder to the planet ?? backed up by armies of service engineers charging around the country in diesel vans fixing them :)

backed up by 5 year plus manus warranties , showing how confident they are in the product ;) all of which are insured by the manu through some one like D&G , the purchaser pays the insurance premiumn in the purchase price :)

Well, you can look at this two ways; as Pete suggests, you could get good experience, on the other hand, as you're both in a help group, you can't be sure of where this guys coming from, and one wrong word could end you up in serious trouble, not just from a gruff voice.

It's going to be a judgement call on your part, as you know him better, so can you still get in touch with the guy etc, or are you better off just letting this go.

A group about problems with getting custody and access to your children. He was really put through it with his wife and went to court with a 15 yr possible jail sentence. She accused him of rape. He got off but cost him a fortune as he hired a great lawyer. £46,000. I met him once. I guess as we had similar issues with kids he was friendly to me.

He was a weapons and chemical engineer in the army. Met him once when he made the offer. I agree with the comment, give everything a go. I gave blinds a go. it didnt work out but I learnt lots which has helped me since.

It was just that I have absolutely no plumbing experience, got carpentry skills though, if that's relevant? i told him I was a handyman. He made out it was quite easy. Big rugby player guy in late forties. He was more recommending I do it than he take me on. He only made the reluctant offer when I said I didnt have a friend who did it. Biggest hands I have ever seen and I am not small.

Last edited:
A group about problems with getting custody and access to your children. He was really put through it with his wife and went to court with a 15 yr possible jail sentence. She accused him of rape. He got off but cost him a fortune as he hired a great lawyer. £46,000. I met him once. I guess as we had similar issues with kids he was friendly to me.

He was a weapons and chemical engineer in the army. Met him once when he made the offer. I agree with the comment, give everything a go. I gave blinds a go. it didnt work out but I learnt lots which has helped me since.

It was just that I have absolutely no plumbing experience, got carpentry skills though, if that's relevant? i told him I was a handyman. He made out it was quite easy. Big rugby player guy in late forties. He was more recommending I do it than he take me on. He only made the reluctant offer when I said I didnt have a friend who did it. Biggest hands I have ever seen and I am not small.
He must have had a great lawyer: I'm scared of him already!

Perhaps not in the plumbing trades, I don't recall meeting any ex-mil plumbers so cannot judge.

Plumbing is plumbing unless your fitting a bidet in a chieftain, I was merely offering my personal experiance in contradiction to the point you made about military personnel plumbers having more experiance and skills than civilian plumbers.

True I've never been shot at whilst working but had to handle situations such as going in to Beruit like areas and Bandit country .......which reminds me
Ex military area manager nice enough bloke, the beruit statement was when I asked for another man to come on a job to sit in the van while I did the job, he parked elsewhere got in my van when we drove in to this cul de sac he said " Its like Beruit! !"

(Tyres would have been punctured and van turned over if it hadn't have been guarded ). Another engineer had a brick thrown in to his back when he went back to his van and the van was turned over that was Manchester way.

also all these high tech save the planet boilers that are kinder to the planet ?? backed up by armies of service engineers charging around the country in diesel vans fixing them :)

backed up by 5 year plus manus warranties , showing how confident they are in the product ;) all of which are insured by the manu through some one like D&G , the purchaser pays the insurance premiumn in the purchase price :)

Manufacturers warranties underwritten by insurers true enough, I ended getting paid more for three calls to one appliance than she paid when she bought it !
Crazy situation.

I ended getting paid more for three calls to one appliance than she paid when she bought it !
I suppose if you rip-off your customers you can expect this kind of thing:
I asked for another man to come on a job to sit in the van while I did the job,
(Tyres would have been punctured and van turned over if it hadn't have been guarded ).

You need a 'great' (expensive) lawyer if you have raped someone and want to get away with it.

No idea if he did it or not. No nothing about these cases although does seem that women make up a lot of false allegations these days. And what is the exact definition of rape anyhow? - 'she doesnt really want it but he does that night so reluctantly allows him' or tieing someone up and putting a knife to their throat and forcing yourself on them. The second one obviously is.

Would you work with him? Will I get any valuable plumbing experience as well for my handyman work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back