Selling yourself for work- hanging doors

perhaps something else to consider... what if you get a customer who wants solid oak doors fitted to the standard 2p piece uniformly fitting with draught / intumescent strips rebates, with, say Perko door closers? That's a lot of kit to screw up.. As that would come to materials alone of approx ~£1000 a door.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
perhaps something else to consider... what if you get a customer who wants solid oak doors fitted to the standard 2p piece uniformly fitting with draught / intumescent strips rebates, with, say Perko door closers? That's a lot of kit to screw up.. As that would come to materials alone of approx ~£1000 a door.

Good point. i guess always get an idea of the cost of things your fitting if it's £50 door then don't worry too much and assess the risk factor ratio to cost.

I don think it matters who has the carpentry skills. Personally I would sell the job, then if you get it, at that point explain to the customer that there will be 2 people doing the job. 'The job will need 2 people to do the job, so when we come to site there will be me plus Dave, a fully skilled carpenter- Ive worked with him for years'.

You arent deceiving anybody, provided the completed work is done to a high standard and the custoner is delighted. The customer must be told who is doing the work as a matter of courtesy. Some people get worried by security and dont want strangers in the house.

Will tell them my friend's name and that he's experiences, this may of course lead to the question and are you experienced and consquently a bit of a lie I guess.

Good point. i guess always get an idea of the cost of things your fitting if it's £50 door then don't worry too much and assess the risk factor ratio to cost.

well exactly, if you're fitting a £50 door, the max risk is,well,approx £50. Also the customer expectation is possibly a bit less. If you're fitting a £1000 door you can probably imagine the customer will be very exacting, as I'm sure you'd be.

Sponsored Links
Don't think I sold recent one either. I told him my friend was an experienced carpenter and got the aren't u a carpenter question. Maybe taking too many photos or not looking skilled using tape measure. Or too expensive, friend wanted & £175 just Labour.

Last edited:
I fitted a beast today. 926mm x 2040mm glazed oak. Worra b'stard too. No head room (casing header actually sunk into the ceiling plasterboard) and one of the casing legs was within 40mm of the return wall.

Back