Call my builder, or a carpenter - doors need shortening

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had my loft conversion done, builder has finished. The carpets came and the fitter needed to remove the door, says 1/4 inch needs to be taken off the bottom. Is it normal to call a builder back to cut door and rehang, or would this be considered a separate job? If the latter, I will contact a local carpenter instead. Just wondering what is acceptable etc. - don't want my builder to think I am taking the ****! A second carpet comes on Friday and that might also need a shorter door (carpet not so thick this time).

If i get a carpenter, what would be a fair price for reducing 2 doors and re-hanging?

Sponsored Links
Did the builder put the carpet in? So why should he shorten your doors?

Do it yourself. It's not difficult.

You tell him mate. If the builder had cut them shorter he'd be on here asking how to sue the builder because the doors were too short for his new vinyl.

A Good Reliable Carpet fitter will normally trim off the bottom of the doors
At Extra cost of course, that is if he is a " Carpet FITTER"

Sponsored Links
A carpet fitter fits carpets/vinyl.
A carpenter alters doors.
There is no way I would ever expect a carpet fitter to reduce a door height, its like asking a dentist to sort your ingrowing toe nail out.
Carpenter, maybe £50 per door, for 1 or 2 or you will get him on a day rate, should only take 30 mins a door.

We've just done this an hour ago. Trimmed five doors. Took an hour. Client offered me a twenty. I said keep it it's Christmas.
All (relevant) doors needed another 6mm taking off the bottoms of them. Three others stayed put where they had vinyl flooring fitted.

Assuming you are on good terms with your builder, give him a bell and explain the situation. He should know a chippy or two who will pop around and do them. It shouldn't take more than an hour to do both and shouldn't cost too much. If Diyisfun is right on pricing, I should be a millionaire by now because I don't know how many doors I've trimmed over the years - GRATIS! o_O

When the door is fitted, it should be trimmed to the correct size including leaving room for the carpet, if the size of underlay and carpet is known. I hung my doors, and asked the carpet shop how much space to leave at the bottom. They were spot on.

I would have thought your builder should have asked you about the flooring, and the amount of gap to leave. That said, trades are often more concerned with getting in and out fast.

A carpet fitter fits carpets/vinyl.
A carpenter alters doors.
There is no way I would ever expect a carpet fitter to reduce a door height, its like asking a dentist to sort your ingrowing toe nail out.
Carpenter, maybe £50 per door, for 1 or 2 or you will get him on a day rate, should only take 30 mins a door.

£50 to hang a door perhaps, not to trim one.

We've just done this an hour ago. Trimmed five doors. Took an hour. Client offered me a twenty. I said keep it it's Christmas.
All (relevant) doors needed another 6mm taking off the bottoms of them. Three others stayed put where they had vinyl flooring fitted.

How do you support the door? I assume you use an electric plane? I ask as I hung my doors, and clamped a door upright between two cheap work benches.

How do you support the door? I assume you use an electric plane? I ask as I hung my doors, and clamped a door upright between two cheap work benches.
We shot the door bottoms out through a French set. The ground outside was a good bit lower than standard. I just packed them on towels and planed away.

We shot the door bottoms out through a French set. The ground outside was a good bit lower than standard. I just packed them on towels and planed away.
That's a good idea. It had never occurred to me, but another advantage is that I wouldn't be blasted by the wife for making a mess on the carpet.

Thanks, I shall ask.

As for DIY, I can hardly move the door myself - no idea how I will cut it without spending money on tools etc.!

If the builder had cut them shorter he'd be on here asking how to sue the builder because the doors were too short for his new vinyl.

No, that's not why I was asking. I was asking, just to know what standard practice is, not to accuse anybody of doing anything wrong.

Sponsored Links
Back