Red Cross hard sell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few months ago I set up a standing order to make a donation to the Red Cross.
This Sunday I received a telephone call initially thanking me for my donation.
The caller then went on to ask would I consider doubling my donation and when I said no he said well what about an extra 50% gradually going down to 25%.
When I said that this type of hard sell was something I did not expect of the Red Cross the caller said that he was not employed directly by the Red cross but from a company employed by them to raise funds.
Has anybody else experienced this, and is this the right way for a charity to go about their business.
I understand their need to raise more money but to target people who already make donations seems to me to be counterproductive

Sponsored Links
Have you looked at the salary of the CEO? FFS - I would NEVER give them money. Compare his pay to the head of the Salvation Army.

I would never set up a standing order for these charities, at best they only receive three pence in the pound the rest goes to the fat cats.

Wotan

My ex wife used to donate to charity via a direct debit. It had only been running 4 months when she was bombarded with phone calls, texts and postal mail shots asking her to increase her donations. After getting these for a few months , she cancelled the DD.

Sponsored Links
Several charities use this method. How many times do you hear of a successful prosecution or see exactly what the money has been spent on? :confused:

Do you mean that my £1 per annum is not buying a goat, a well, and a pack of condoms? :evil:

My mum donates to a cancer charity, she was asked to double her payments, i said to tell them to fucoff she won't.

She is now on the "MUGS" list and gets mithered by charities.

WaterAid for Africa are notorious for this. You start off on £3 a month and if you give in to them after 6 months you will be paying £30 a month.
And the kids are still drinking dirty water!!!

The NSPCC do the same. It got so bad at one point that it was bordering on harassment

:eek:

WaterAid for Africa are notorious for this. You start off on £3 a month and if you give in to them after 6 months you will be paying £30 a month.
And the kids are still drinking dirty water!!!

Conny you're missing the point here, when you started donating £3 a month back in the beginning of time, you were supplying dirty drinking water for 5000, that was then this is now, so your £30 a month now supplies 50,000 with the same dirty drinking water, and in the not to distant future it will be 500,000 and then our crops will fail, we will barely have enough for our own needs and millions that have kept alive will waste away and die. :cry:

Keep your money in this country.
Saying that I might start up a charity and give myself a massive wage..............

and is this the right way for a charity to go about their business.

I don't think they have much choice.

Once a charity becomes a certain size, it needs (or wants) to chase more donations (as some people will quite donating, they will have to keep chasing more and more people just to stay even).

When a small charity becomes bigger, they realise that the odd fund-raiser and a few chuggers don't cut it, and so they either hire sales people, or hire a firm.

They probably prefer to hire a firm, as they then don't have to pay any running costs, "no win no fee". The firms probably think it's easier to get an increased donation, than it is to get a new one.

When a charity decides to outsource their fund-raising activities to a profit making organisation, it ceases to be a valid or useful charity. Charity has become an industry, a means of lining fat pockets, and far too little of their revenue goes to the causes they claim to represent.
Many modern 'charities' are parasitic entities that exist solely to leach money out of good natured people, for the benfit of their bosses and employees.
I will not and would never consider donating to any charity that employs 3rd party, profit making fund-raisers, or chuggers.

Sponsored Links
Back