Selling yourself for work- hanging doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had an ad in shop window for small carpentry jobs. The guy asked for 11 internal doors to be hung. My mate is the more experienced carpenter so runs the show. It's great experience for me.
I sell it as it is my job. Go round by myself. He said he wanted me to do it on Monday but when I called on Friday he said the kitchen fitter was doing it. Am i not convincing him well enough? £35 a door then £43 for ones where the lining not square.

I always say I will call them back with quote. I Check with mate first. Maybe not coming across confident enough.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
How long was it going to take you? sounds a bit pricey.

I though it sounded about right.....

say £400 around 2 days work, sundries, profit

not sure where your based but that is cheap so its not the pricing the kitchen fitter might of been slack for a couple of days and under cut you or client just thought easier to get both jobs done by same tradesman
i normally charge £55 for light weight doors or 65 for fire doors

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
yes you know that
ive had times where i didnt want the job and charged 80 so not to get it and got the job so had to be polite and say no thanks:whistle:

Selling is ABC - always be closing..

You need to find a way close on the spot. You get it wrong a few times you take the hit. better to have your time utilised at a lean rate than sit doing nothing.

Most people will find it hard to back out once they've given you the verbal yes. The other thing to consider is to allow a bit of discounting. So its £40 a door, but since you want 11 doing I'll charge for 10 so call it .. encourages people to say yes.

Beware of consumer rights ?

agreeing a price in the work place or in there home ?

14 day cooling off period ?

tread a careful path with some of these customers , plenty out there to rip u off ;)

Once when I was unemployed someone local wanted 5 doors hanging and would not even stump up £50 total with me including the hinges (which I have loads of).
TBH I'm glad I didn't do that one.

Seen a house where a kitchen fitter had hung the doors.
Must have been about 100 2" ovals hammered into the doors stops and architraves.
Had to remove one set and the wood came off in splinters.
Was offered the rest of the doors in the property but politely declined.

Last edited:
He did say 'do u do this kind of thing often?' and I said 'yeah'. Maybe I wasn't convincing enough. Maybe I need to blag it a bit with carpentry business cards etc. I mean it's all white lies anyway as my friend who does this kind of work is running the show and knows what he's doing I am effectively his carpenter's mate. I am mostly selling it and trying to get experience while working with someone. He also started asking about the what the doors were composed of etc and I wasn't convincing with my answer I would imagine. Who knows.

When talking to a customer what are the important questions? What to do- I guess a small spirit level on top of door lining. Check doors thickness, width and height of doors is same as lining? I didn't get tape measure out - maybe he sensed I myself am not a professional and I didn't say friend was running it to him. Cos' he might say'why isn't he here doing quote? '

I also always take photos with phone. Tell customer it's to remind myself, but really it's to send friend or ask someone if not sure about something. Not sure if customers like that

Bottom line is the job when finished is done well and on a personal level I get experience.
DSC_0214.JPG

Last edited:
Unless you are a chippy then forget hanging doors for a living.

You will come unstuck.

Andy

Learn first, then knowledge and experience will give you the air of authority and confidence you need.

In any case, some jobs you win, some you lose.......

Its probably best if you took your mate with you or get him to go, when the enquiry is carpentry based.

I have hung hundreds of doors. It was only when hanging around the 180th door that I could say that I had enough experience to be comfortable.

There are a surprising number of tripping points that can catch you out throughout the door hanging process. Experience or insider trade tips is the key to success.

Sponsored Links
Back