Gas Meter Disconnected in Basement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Guys

Im new here so please be gentle. I have searched the posts on here and google with not much luck.

Basically im looking to buy a property, it is quite an old place needing alot of TLC. There is no central heating in the property, but it does have gas pipes going to fireplaces.

The gas meter has been disconnected and taken away, with a yellow sticker left behind, i did however see a lever which i presume is the ECV i didnt have my glasses with me so didnt get a proper look at what it said on the sticker.

I contacted National Grid to get an MPRN number but they said they had nothing on record. The chap on the phone then said to phone the supplier of my choice and that they will be able to help. I phoned NPower they too couldnt see who the supplier was and recommended i speak to the New Connections team.

My concerns are

A) Will the supplier/transporter reconnect the gas meter in its original location, or will they insist on it being relocated to an outside wall.. i.e. will i have to sell a kidney to pay for this.

B) The piping which is visible in the basement, looks like it maybe lead, will this have to be replaced?

C) what do you think is the likely cost to get the meter issue resolved, im planning on installing gas central heating.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If it's been off for more than 12months you'll need a new supply, probably will anyway if it's lead.

Will it be all one pad or multiple occupancy.

Sadly if it is lead it will need to be replaced and the line may not be connected to the gas main, since the main may of been replaced and never had a feed put in to your property.

To have the pipe reconnected will cost you alot.

Best option is to call national grid or any supplier (most likely a supplier) to come and inspect the pipe and see if its lead and/or connected to the gas main and take it from there.

If the pipe is live and OK and it passes inspection they can replace it where it was as long as that position meets current regulations.

If not it will be very costly work to have done as they are not cheap i have heard of people being charged over 3k for the meter to be put outside and the pipe cut down.

Most suppliers will want you on their books and may be willing to come out to check.

Hey Guys
C) what do you think is the likely cost to get the meter issue resolved, im planning on installing gas central heating.
Any advice is much appreciated.

How much is a kidney worth these days? Ballpark for the gas could be 1000-2000, central heating anything up to 5k if its an average 3 bed semi. Just use a rough figure to deduct off your offer price and explain why. Its a buyers market so go elsewhere if they won't play ball.

Sponsored Links
Its not clear what those NG figures are!

Its possible they are what they charge a gas supplyer who can then double it.

As far as I am aware you have to arrange a new supply through a supplier , like NPower or BG.

Tony

PS

I would advise the OP to get an RGI to test the gas pipe to see if its still live. If it is then its a very good argument that it does not need to be replaced.

Some people would ( illegally ) connect to a live supply if the suppliers have lost their records of it.

One of my customers had a supply for four years, never had any bills, but wanted to regularise the situation because she was selling. She had a lot of trouble getting any supplier interested!

Its apparently the current policy to dis a gas supply in the street if its not being used after 12 months.

The real answer is: none of your questions can be answered from behind a keyboard.

Thanks guys for all the replies.. i think it will be wise to get it inspected. Do you think it would be cheeky of me to ask for a retention on the property. So that if the piping is lead and it isnt a simple case of adding the gas meter that money be taken off?

Sadly if it is lead it will need to be replaced and the line may not be connected to the gas main, since the main may of been replaced and never had a feed put in to your property.

To have the pipe reconnected will cost you alot.

Best option is to call national grid or any supplier (most likely a supplier) to come and inspect the pipe and see if its lead and/or connected to the gas main and take it from there.

If the pipe is live and OK and it passes inspection they can replace it where it was as long as that position meets current regulations.

If not it will be very costly work to have done as they are not cheap i have heard of people being charged over 3k for the meter to be put outside and the pipe cut down.

Most suppliers will want you on their books and may be willing to come out to check.

Currently the meter is in the basement, and there is plenty of room to manouvre down there. I've had conflicting advice, some saying all new connections go outside.

You have not made it clear whats lead.

As you are buying as seen its up to you to assess what price you should pay for the property.

You can try to negotiate a discount but it all depends on how popular the property is to other buyers. You could end up losing the purchase or getting a reduction. Thast a risk that you take.

You seem to by paying perhaps £160,000 and quibling over £1000.

As I said before having it checked by an RGI might be helpful.

Tony

As you are buying as seen its up to you to assess what price you should pay for the property.

You can try to negotiate a discount but it all depends on how popular the property is to other buyers. You could end up losing the purchase or getting a reduction. Thast a risk that you take.

Tony

Its a very old property. The piping in the Basement where the meter has been taken off, looks to be lead. also the piping attached to the old fire places also look like lead.

I'm in no way an expert, but the property has gas pipes in the wall which was for lighting? Bizarre.. i know!!

As for quibbling over 1k, i wouldnt fathom doing that. but if i am quoted 3-5k to take out the old lead piping and to relocate the gas meter, then think its worthwhile asking, especially when the vendor is saying all i have do do is call the supplier.

I have contacted BG and Npower and they both havent any record of supplyinng the property, which leads me to believe the vendor isnt being completely honest.

It's not clear what those NG figures are!
They are the NG charges to the end user.

End user's can apply direct to the owner of their local gas network (NG, Scotia Gas, Northern Gas, Wales and West Utilities), they do not have to go via the retailer (Atlantic, British Gas etc).

Tony

Its a very old property. The piping in the Basement where the meter has been taken off, looks to be lead. also the piping attached to the old fire places also look like lead.

I'm in no way an expert, but the property has gas pipes in the wall which was for lighting? Bizarre.. i know!!

As for quibbling over 1k, i wouldnt fathom doing that. but if i am quoted 3-5k to take out the old lead piping and to relocate the gas meter, then think its worthwhile asking, especially when the vendor is saying all i have do do is call the supplier.

I have contacted BG and Npower and they both havent any record of supplyinng the property, which leads me to believe the vendor isnt being completely honest.

Perfectly acceptable to have a meter internally, if in a compartment it will require vents at high and low level at a rate of 1% of the cross sectional area of the compartments floor area. This is to keep any potential leak of gas below flammable limits (LFL)

If the property is to be renovated, and the gas carcass is in a poor state it will need reinstalling, in any event if it has been used for fires, it will not be of sufficient size to have enough capacity to run a combi boiler. costs not possible to judge without a survey.

Incoming supply for my new meter was £650ish for transco/nat grid to run in approx 8' from the road, meter is supplied free from your selected gas supplier.

It is good practice to remove old gas pipework, however as long as all ends are capped and marked as decommissioned that is acceptable.

get access to the property again but take a rgi to check if the pipe is live and is suitable ie not lead.
if live and suitable get your own meter fitted privately so you will have free gas until external mains etc need to be upgraded.
then you have an idea what you owe to gas suppliers but which one.
if the property is in west london and gas is live with suitable pipework,i would be interested in buying this property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back