Gas Meter Install - Siting Issues.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, am hoping that someone can help me with a dilemma!

Am just concluding the purchase of a 3 storey Victorian terrace built 1890. It is next door to my parents house and we have known the previous owner more than 40 years, a very house proud lady.

There has never been a gas connection to the house and I have now received a quote from Wales & West Utilities to connect the service, which at £321 I found to be quite reasonable. This was to run a 6.1m line from the main, terminating internally in my house. The problem, however, is that they will only run a minimum of 2m within the property which therefore puts my meter in a real awkward place within my living room, namely alcove next to fireplace nearest to outside wall. See below (behind big arm chair)

View media item 19612
When I initially asked WWU to quote I requested that the meter be sited in the next room (rear) of the ground floor in an existing cupboard with the main line going under the wooden floor as is the case of the house I live in now, and my parents next door. The cupboard is directly underneath the room where the new bathroom would be (currently a bedroom) so pipes for combi boiler could go straight up, also position is between both rooms that would be having gas fires fitted so good for pipe runs there too. See below (white built in cupboard)

View media item 19611
There is no way i want the meter in the living room as I have seen 2 of my neighbours properties in the same street and am unimpressed to say the least. One is behind their sofa, and another in the alcove as mine would be taking space that a nice piece of furniture could be in. Given that these rooms are only 3x4m space is of a premium. Furthermore, the ceiling in the living room has an ornate coving so would be devastating to run pipes up through it and an insult to the memory of our former neighbour.

I was told by WWU that I might look at semi surface mount boxes, but this is no option as there are no cavities in these properties. I had all but chucked the idea of having gas fitted until I read a few older posts here about moving meters by MET1 holders and reference to www.meterboxes.co.uk where they have a product that may save the day!

Finally a question!! If I buy one of these View media item 19614and mount to the exterior wall below the internal floor level (the house is on a hill so is possible!) so that the ECV is mounted externally, can I then pay someone to run the feed to the meter position that I actually want with a secondary ECV if required. There should be at least 50cm space under the living room floor. If so would it be in copper or plastic? and what spec should I be looking for when contracting someone to do the work - MET1 etc.

Many thanx in advance

Nick.

Sponsored Links
Meter work can only be done by MAP's (meter asset providers) or MAM's (meter asset managers or their representatives.
A gas installer with met1 is only qualified to work on and install meters on the instruction of the MAP or MAM and cannot install or move meters without their authority.

Your parents gas supply was installed years ago when they would run pipes inside. It is extremely unlikely that you will be offered an inside meter further than 2m. It doesn't happen unless flatted properties or where there is an existing pipe which can be inserted. Any supply pipework inside would be done in screwed steel pipe.

They will probably give you an external (assuming you have a bit of garden) box similar to 1 2 3 or 5 of these

http://www.meterboxes.co.uk/content/METERBOXESmeterboxes.asp?TypeID=1&CatID=23

1, 2 or 3 will depend on what type they use. 5 is standard box.

This is normal practice.

Your gas installer when doing the heating will then run a copper pipe from the meter to wherever it needs to go.

Many thanx for the reply, someone else burning the midnight oil!

The outside of the property is on the main street (see below) so the only options offered were internal termination or a semi flush box, but as there is no cavity in these houses the box was ruled out. I thought the ECV cover would be a good option as its quite slimeline so wouldn't be an obstruction like all the other full surface mount options.
View media item 19615
As yet I have to source a meter provider, though will probably go with British Gas. Would they not entertain the idea of a 4m run of supply. It grates with me that they drop these meters just inside the door for convenience sake, with little regard for those who then have to live with and around them. Ruins the room completely.

Thanx again for the reply.

Would they not entertain the idea of a 4m run of supply.

I doubt it very much.

It grates with me that they drop these meters just inside the door for convenience sake, with little regard for those who then have to live with and around them. Ruins the room completely.

They can't see it from their big chair :LOL:

What you could do is if it is a straight run through to where you want the meter and you are willing to lift some floor boards, bung the guys doing the service a few quid. As long as they can get to it easily they might (probably will) do it. |Normally no one will come to check and the guy fitting the meter only knows you have a service not where it is.

Sponsored Links
LOL! I had considered the 'bung' tactic but didn't know how it would be received. Am more than willing to raise a few boards. Would fifty quid swing it or nearer a oner?

You can only ask? If you make it easy for them they will do it. They are all just working guys with the same bills as everyone else and any bonus is welcome :LOL:

Just a thought :idea:

These types of houses usually had everything in pretty much the same place. There may have been a gas supply in this one many years ago which has been removed? They used to charge a standing charge for the meter no matter it was used or not. It may have been taken out?

Look around at the same place as your parents meter for a steel pipe. If you have one and they can find it outside they will insert a plastic pipe up inside it no probs.

Have done that!! Got all excited when I found a hole cut in the concrete inside the cupboard, but when I poked my hand down there was only a 10mm-ish hole and a corresponding one in the skirting board in the living room. Think it's where they had run a tv aerial cable in the past. DOH!

The former owner told my mum years ago when door to door salesmen kept bothering her that she'd never had gas and didn't want gas. A lack of judgement in hindsight as at 88yrs old and still living in a house with no heating other than 2 open fires she (just) lived to regret it.

My Mum used to care for her over the last 10 or so years. It was so cold in there she found the lady at deaths door with oxygen sats of 50% (not good!) Paramedics took her to hospital and she went to a residential care home after. Sadly died on Saturday aged 90. Typically the sale hadnt gone through on time so now have to wait for probate etc which could take up to 6 months. Was hoping to have completed by 12th March!

Oh well, these things happen for a reason!

i know where you are coming from with that.

My gran who also lived until 90 only ever had open fires (pit coal allowance) and had to light the kitchen one for hot water (once a week!)

Would never let me put heating in for her (for free) or even alter the open fire back boiler to the front room. Just stuck in her ways. They don't make em like that anymore.

Indeed, has been an end of an era for our street. Everyone for miles around knew 'Aunt Lil'.

She was the same for water etc only had a Rayburn which I've just had serviced when the chimneys were swept, the day before she died ironically!

View media item 17861
Have just priced up the running costs for said rayburn and seems it will use a 25kg bag of anthracite every 2 days at £8 a bag. That's a bloody lot to pay for a bit of cooking and DHW, thought I was gonna be quids in. If i don't get the gas in it's gonna be a ceramic hob and immersion on a timer i think!

Look at this flippin HWC though, immersion doesn't work. Am told its a fortic tank. Will be looking to find a suiltable replacement!

View media item 17862

Nice old Rayburn. Don,t bin it it is worth a couple of grand. May even be able to convert it to gas depending on model. With solid fuel a ton would last around a month with constant use.
I know the house i am in now had one. Was taken out in the 70's. Wish it was still there i'd use it.

The HWC is a combination tank. Easily changed for an unvented.

The Rayburn as it turns out is actually quite rare. It's a 1946 No.2 but the original No.2 with the ovens on the right. They only made a few hundred before changing the design and having the ovens on the left and a joining plate between the ash door and fire box so they had to be opened together. Will definitely keep it, but will not be keeping it running full tilt 24/7. No it's been serviced and the holes in the flue have been sealed etc, it's really easy to light so not the end of the world if it goes out.

Thanx for the advice on the cylinder. Was looking at an unvented for the new bathroom if i didnt go for a combi. Any recommendations for a replacement? I've seen people writing good things generally about the Heatrae Megaflow's

Wow, was just doing the math on your solid fuel outlay. A ton (1000kg) would be 40x25kg bags at £8 a throw.....£320 a month!!!! Blimey, not for the faint hearted, or the stoney broke!!! That's got to be more than an all electric set up!

Indeed, has been an end of an era for our street. Everyone for miles around knew 'Aunt Lil'.

Have just priced up the running costs for said rayburn and seems it will use a 25kg bag of anthracite every 2 days at £8 a bag. That's a bloody lot
Look at this flippin HWC though, immersion doesn't work. Am told its a fortic tank. Will be looking to find a suiltable replacement!

[]
I presume you did it by Maths rather than actually burning some coal. ...My Gran`s 1920`s open fire range used a cwt. a week so your Rayburn should do @ least as well - so your figures are near double what it will cost :eek: ;)

Hiya,

I heat my house with a coal fired boiler stove 2bed terrace cottage, which is very drafty.

Old lady how lived there before never had central heating, although gas in the road, I like to be differant and like the stove too much.

Anyway I think your maths is way out 1000Kg of Phurnacite was delivered on 14th Dec 2009, still have 20 days worth I think cost me £440 delivered......once I get the drafts in the windows / doors / walls fixed should burn a lot less (house has been up to 22C in the depths of the snow in Dec / Jan):cool:

Just an idea!

There is a surface mounted box which is usually fitted outside and projects about 60mm above ground level.

It would not be normal but I dont think there is any serious reason why one should not be fitted under the floor just inside the room if you construct a trap door and make a plinth to sit it on at the appropriate depth which might be about 400 mm below the top.

Others might find reasons why this should not be used. It would not be usual but I dont see any reason why it would not work.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back