Gas meter move - earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Firstly apologies that this isn't really a DIY question - I'm just wanting to check on something.

Our gas meter has just been moved to an external meter box (attached to the house wall) and we have been told we'll need to have an earth cable running from the new meter position back to the cupboard under the stairs where the old meter was.

Is this the only way to do it? I'm quite keen to avoid this given that we'll end up with earth cable running through 3 rooms between new and old positions.

Any thoughts very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Stuart

Sponsored Links
You should have a main protective bonding conductor linking from within 600mm of where the gas pipework enters the house - before any tees in the pipework to your main earthing terminal usually located by the electric meter or consumer unit.
You should also have similar for the water unless it is a plastic pipe installation.

Cheers spark123

That answers my question - I need an earth cable going all the way through the house to the cupboard under the stairs - what a pain!

Never mind, eh!
Stuart

Sponsored Links
Will need to check on earthing arrangement when I get home. Fairly confident that it's TN-S, though.

The run will be about 8-10 metres from the gas pipe entry point to the main earth.

Thanks for your help.

If it is TN-S then 10mm is the normal size to use.
Can you upload a piccy of the distribution board cutout and surrounding wiring?

Thanks a lot.

I think I'll get a pro to do the job - so I'd better not "waste" any more of your time.

Thanks very much for your help - been really useful.

Stuart

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back