gas meter pipework, helplink warning..........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

We had our boiler and heating system serviced earlier this year.

The helplink engineer left an a4 piece of paper advising of a risk due to the pipework from our gas meter entering the building through the rear spigot on the box. Apparently it needs rectifying at our cost and the next time they wouldn't be able to do the service unless this was sorted. Our gas meter is outside the front of our house. The pipe behind it runs into and around a small storage "porch" like area and then into the house.

Has anyone else had this or is aware of it? Any comments would be appreciated!

He said it was due to some new regulations in 2011. Why is it such a problem I wander? I'm very sceptical when anything like this crops up. I always view it like building regs. If we all had to adhere to them as they are in 2012 we'd all be spending a hell of a lot altering our homes to match 2012 standards!

Sponsored Links
possibly not sleeved, what does it say, should have a detailed discription

Thanks for the reply martyn. The only thing it says, under a title "is at risk because" is pipework enters building through rear spigot on box. My wife was in at the time of the engineer visit and he was talking about a potential problem with any leaks and the fact it enters into a wall?!

AFAICT (from observation) this is standard practice if that provides a convenient route into the property - it's how it's done on both of mine. On the flat, the first time the chap doing the checks put down a note about the hole being sealed with non-setting mastic. With the house, that was done before I bought it.

I'm sure if that was changing then I'd have been advised by now - it would require some serious upheaval to change :eek:

I'd write to them (rather than phone) and ask exactly what is at risk, and specifically ask which regulation (or upcoming regulation) it is/will be in breach of.

Sponsored Links
I would to look it up but I think the "at risk" is only for medium pressure meters with the pipe entering your property via the rear knock out.

I would to look it up but I think the "at risk" is only for medium pressure meters with the pipe entering your property via the rear knock out.
or not sealed between pipe and sleeve of a low pressure installation.

Woody, if you could provide a picture of where the pipe enters the property and exits on the other side, we would be able to tell you if there is any issues. Also grab a picture of the meter so we can tell if its low or medium pressure.

Is the meter box recessed into the wall, or is it surface mounted?

Woody, if you could provide a picture of where the pipe enters the property and exits on the other side, we would be able to tell you if there is any issues. Also grab a picture of the meter so we can tell if its low or medium pressure.

Is the meter box recessed into the wall, or is it surface mounted?

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the reply.

From memory im almost certain the meter is surface mounted. However, ill take pictures later and post these up so it is clearer for you :)

As promised here are pictures. Ignore the warning sticker, this has been on since we bought the house as it was a repossession. It was re-connected and tested by a gas safe engineer.

This is the meter, the pipe entering the wall circled in red:

Meter.jpg

This is where the pipe comes out, inside what we call the "outhouse", basically a storage area with a door on:

Pipe_Inside_Outhouse.jpg

This is a view of both where the gas meter box is and the "outhouse" door. This gives you an idea of the distance between the two. I have circled in red where the pipes go in/come out.

Furtheroutview.jpg

Finally this also helps give a better idea of the location of the "outhouse" in relation to the house itself. The gas pipe runs around the perimeter of the "outhouse" and then into the house through the wall. I have circled where it go's into the house in red.

Outhousedoor.jpg

Any help would be appreciated :)[/img]

Spigot in box
plumbers mate been used which is incorrect seallant ,
As seen its not sealed and is actually classed as AR and needs the proper non setting sealant used

It does look like the spigot is missing.

http://www.continentalproduct.co.uk/store/product/MISC0450C.aspx

The spigot is supposed to bridge the entire cavity.

For the sake of the continuation of your servicing agreement, you could buy one and have a Gas Safe Registered engineer fit it for you, but this would of course be at your expense.

In the defence of the guy who serviced it, he is bound by his company rules in regards to not servicing it again unless its fixed.

Thanks for the replies :)

To make sure i am understanding this right, the area where the pipe go's into my property on the top picture is the issue?

Instead of the hard sealant on the picture, there should be a spigot (as in Jacks link) instead which would fit flush against the wall?

Does anyone have a ball park figure that i might be looking at to have it done? thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back