Gas pipe obstructing new oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I wonder if you can help please. I need to get a new oven but am really restricted on space due to the location of the gas pipe feeding the hob (500 mm in total from the bolt of the pipe to the outside of the casing unit). Can you advise what space there needs to be between the pipe and the back of the oven? The existing pipe runs towards the wall at an angle so there is more space as you move along the pipe. I assume it can't touch the back of the oven though at all, not even the bolt? The smallest oven depth I can find is 498 in total so there will only be a 2 mm gap between the bolt and oven casing, is this safe?

Attachments

• 20220918_172901.jpg
    20220918_172901.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 297
  • 20220918_172907.jpg
    20220918_172907.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 20220918_172912.jpg
    20220918_172912.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 212
  • 20220918_172917.jpg
    20220918_172917.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 159
Sponsored Links
Clip under that left elbow would of been an idea. Maybe Clip the leccy supply to the hob too.

Thanks, do you mean clip the wire to the wall away from the pipe?

Sponsored Links
Ummmmm, pipes don't have bolts....

A gap is a gap. You do need a gap - ovens have fans which vibrate the case, etc. Oven backs can get moderately hot but I've not seen a specific distance requirement. Check the installation instructions of the oven before you buy - they'll be on line. If they're silent on that then fine.

If you only need to gain a few mm you could get the pipe clipped back hard but it may need a little of the plaster excavating depending on the clip type. Some pvc tape between the pipe and the plaster if they're in danger of touching, would protect the pipe from dampness.
There are distance requirements between gas pipes and electrcals which are widely broken. If you keep them held away, that'll do more than most bother with. The distance between the pipe and that electrical outlet probably doesn't comply but it's not a problem anyone would make a fuss about.

Of course if you even stare hard at a gas pipe you need a Gas Safe Registered operative, so avert your gaze and welcome the sucking in through teeth of the almighty and pay homage, if necessary.

Sorry, I don't know the terminology of the corner joints. I don't really have the cash right now to start moving pipes, and I certainly wouldn't touch anything to do with gas myself. I'll see if i can find the user manual. Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I don't know the terminology of the corner joints. I don't really have the cash right now to start moving pipes, and I certainly wouldn't touch anything to do with gas myself. I'll see if i can find the user manual. Thanks for the reply.
Thems are called elbows. Compression type, because doing the nut up compresses a part inside which looks like a wedding ring, onto the pipe.

The thing on the vertical is an on/off valve for the hob gas supply. "Isolation" or "service" valve.

Ah, thank you. Every day is a school day! Do you think that pipe could be moved to give me more depth? It clearly needs to remain going into the hob at the same part though, which is where the depth issue is so I'm not sure how that works. Going to have to pay the money to move it as I've read reviews of the one oven I could find abs it's put me off buying it.

Ovens are normally shaped to allow for gas fittings to hob. See in the picture where the casing is stepped in at top/back.

R.b9487bcd0d008111ed7492f656de4757

Ovens are normally shaped to allow for gas fittings to hob. See in the picture where the casing is stepped in at top/back.

R.b9487bcd0d008111ed7492f656de4757
Not anymore they are not with majority of manufacturers some of the clearances are non existent for anything coming up the back not even room for something to have a plug .Manufacturers are not giving a jot about what may have to go behind them

This is what I am finding. Now I've measured in more detail, the pipe running up the back is in issue as well, and that can't go any further back. I'm at a loss now at to what to do. Change to an electric hob it seems!

A gas safe engineer will chase it into the wall and configurate a tapping off the hob that should be workable.
So your twix and between for the price of a gas safe engineer or an electric hob.
Slim pickings as they say.

There is always the possibility of moving the vertical pipe to the right and bringing it up behind the adjacent cupboard and then drilling a hole through the cupboard for the hob connection. This will give you full depth for your oven, (which will be fed from a flexible gas pipe), to allow insertion and removal for servicing. The flexible pipe could be connected to the incoming gas pipe below the base shelf of the oven opening.
Speak to a Gas Safe engineer before deciding to change to an electric hob. If it's gas you really want then it's often better to bite the bullet and maybe pay a little extra to get it. Compromising can be a very expensive mistake.

Thank you, I've been looking at that. But the electrical point is also an issue as its not much smaller in depth than the pipe. The smallest ovens I can find will still only be a few mm at most away from that as well. I can't understand why my space is so shallow when I have standard 600 mm worktops.

Thank you, I've been looking at that. But the electrical point is also an issue as its not much smaller in depth than the pipe. The smallest ovens I can find will still only be a few mm at most away from that as well. I can't understand why my space is so shallow when I have standard 600 mm worktops.

Would I be correct in assuming that the 'electrical point' is a connection for an electric oven, and that someone has wired a piece of twin and earth cable into it, which then drops down out of sight, to eventually feed the white flexible cable for the hob ignition?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back