Gas pipe puncture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My son decided to lay wood flooring to his hallway, when he removed the existing carpet gripper rods one had been secured piercing a gas pipe (which is plastic), he immediately replaced the offending nail and successfully stopped the leak-temporarily-. I am concerned that the leak will return, although it has not leaked since he has lived in the house, prior to this incident. 1 Can the pipe be repaired ie with a sleeve of some sort or does the pipe have to be replaced entirely?? it runs in concrete and is virtually on the surface. Your help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
it will need a small section replacing. The pipe will be plastic coated copper.

Sponsored Links
It'll need a fair bit of concrete excavatng so you can get fittings on and low enough, and the pipe sealed from the concrete.

Hi Lads,
Thanks for that, I havn't seen the pipe but i'm sure you are right that it's plastic covered copper. Will a copper sleeve do the trick and is there a plasic commercial product sold to sleeve the pipe in afterwards? I understand the need to excavate enough space to get at it.

Many thanks

you also have to be competent to repair it?

if not get a corgi chap in asap

Yes Corgiman, I appreciate your comment, I have done considerable straightforward plumbing ie fitting radiators boilers etc and am confident without being blaise although I do respect your training, and would not presume to proceed if I felt 'out of my depth'
Many thanks

so you know how to carry out a let by test? and a tightness test?

and you own a manometer?

Good for you if you have, if you have PLEASE call someone in, if you get it wrong the results could be devastating.

If you leave a water leak you'll just get wet

if you leave a gas leak you just die

:)

Not saying your a numpty nuggets but just pointing out that there are emmense risks in someone who is not appropriatly trained doing this type of work

:)

by day I am mild mannered CM

by night i am TUM TUM TUUUUUUUUUMM Uber Agile

lmao

I wish, might get more boilers repaired in less time

LMAO

You are, of course 100percent correct in all you say but i'm sure you are aware you guys are like gold dust, my son lives near London which makes it even worse. No I don't own any specialized testing equipment and would probably not know how to use it if I had. I assume it is designed to test for pressure?? or leaks. I will bear all you have said in mind.
Once again many thanks

Ever seen a gas meter go, don't half make a mess :eek:

The one I saw took the building down and lifted the foundation slab

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back