Nail ALMOST put through central heating pipe. Please help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am replacing the suite in my mum and dads bathroom and have just just ALMOST put a nail though one of the CH pipes.

It hasn't punctured a hole but has put quite an impression in the pipe.

Is it best to replace this or should i leave well alone. I.e. if it doesn't leak now then should it be ok?

Many thanks,

Pete

Sponsored Links
New copper is less than 1 mm thick so would have weakened it somewhat.

To sleep easy I would cut it out and replace.

Your choice. :D

Thanks for the reply Bahco,

There is very little flex on the pipes to get a fitting in, any ideas on which type of joint would be best?

Thanks,

Pete

Sponsored Links
Get a normal coupler and use a round file to rub away the shoulder and it will then slip over the pipe.

Cut out all the damaged section and replace using the above. :D

what about cleaning the pipe up and soldering into the 'dent'?
I did this years ago and it never gave a problem, but was old 1" pipe so would have been substantial

what about cleaning the pipe up and soldering into the 'dent'?
I did this years ago and it never gave a problem, but was old 1" pipe so would have been substantial

Imperial pipe was significantly thicker than current ones

Thank you all for the replies, amazing a little information is so welcome in times of despair.

I will fix with an end feed straight today.

Cheers,

Pete

You'd have to drain the pipe to solder it anyway.

I expect you've distorted the pipe a bit, so it will be difficult to get any connector on to the damaged area. So you'll need to replace a short length of pipe, using one normal coupler and one slip coupler, but on 15mm there's usually enough "flex" to manage without slip couplers.

On a copper pipe of the heating system on an old Triumph 2000 car, I just screwed an alloy self-tapper into the hole and it never leaked!

Seen screw trick done many times on pinholed rads and can last for years.
As for dented pipe and tight situation if your draining it why not just cut a socket in half and use it as a patch just as strong but looks rough if on show

On a copper pipe of the heating system on an old Triumph 2000 car, I just screwed an alloy self-tapper into the hole and it never leaked!

Dissimilar metals !!!!! Er NO I wouldn't do that
If the pipe is dented then it will just stay that way unless the odd martian comes along and makes it worse! Why pierce the dent with a screw and create another problem? Under different circumstances ie. a pinhole leak then this idea would be excellent as a temporary fix

It is dented but it ain't broke yet so why fix it?

I HAve had to just run solder over actual tiny cut in a pipe as it was just impossible to cut out without major disturbance and on a pressurised c/h system,that was 9 yr ago i went back last month and still sound,last one had pinhole so i put internal leak sealer in and stopped it,but yours is jut a dent ,solder it over,wrap some denso and forget it

I Must be missing something Oilman as i didn`t mention pipe i used the word RADS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back