NAIL through pipe !!! Classic idiot ( yes me ) T piece ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all

what a muppet I truly have been today, after replacing the CH pump yesterday , I noticed some of the floorboards were damaged, badly fitted, had been for some time,

SO, perfect time to replace them today ?

WRRRROOONNNNGGGGG !!!!! :(

after fitting new boards, I COMPLETELY FORGOT about the pipes and 3 NAILS got hammed into 3 pipes ! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cant get over it , what an error, but my mind went blank, I honestly completely forgot about the pipes.....I put all the new boards back, so then you cant see whats underneath, all the excuse my mind needed to go blank regarding the pipers underneath

so far;

I replaced a section of 15mm pipe, using solder ring connectors

problem;

there is a 22-15-22 T , where the 15mm pipe going to came loose, and fell off,

I tried to replace the pipe, but the T has a little 15mm short pipe that got damaged , so need to remove that little short

the little pipe was fitted to a 22-15 reducer, which uses the solder-ring system,

NO MATTER how long I heated the ring up, I was UNABLE TO get the pipe to move at all, nothing, nada , zilch !!!

tried and tried, the little pipe end got mashed of course due to grippers , but it just would not move

SITUATION NOW;

HELP NEEDED !!!!

Q:- How can I get that 15mm short of the T piece end ? what happens if I cant get it off ?

Q:- the 22mm is tight against the joist, what is best way to cut the pipe ? as cant get a pipe cutter on it

any help greatly appreciated, this has become a nightmare !!!!

Teddy

PS: If I need to call a plumber out to do the work, can you please let me know what is a reasonable quote for whats involved ? Im in manchester, so not expecting central london prices , but what is the going rate for say 2 hours work ?

Sponsored Links
hello all

any help greatly appreciated, this has become a nightmare !!!!

Teddy

Sell the house....

Dont leave a forwarding address.... :evil:

Not a bad idea, but I would kinda need drinking water in the meantime !!!

What would be a reasonable quote for the work involved ?

I assume it should be no more than 2 hours work for a professional plumber ?

what kind of quote would be reasonable, for manchester non city area ?

Sponsored Links
O my goodness.........
Ok one thing at a time...........
When trying to break a joint like this the heat needs to be constant all round to melt all the solder.....also try putting some flux on it ...probaly psychological but i think it helps.......you are going to have to be very very carefull you dont heat it up enough to break the 22mm joints....

Infact i would just bite the bullet and take a larger section out and replace the lot.....
all that heat is not good for the other joints, especialy seeing as you said that 15mm one just fell off, kind of summs up the possibiltys of what you are doing......

Either call in a favour from one of your plumbing friends or replace a bigger section giving you more space to breath, cut and work...
Good luck

what kind of quote would be reasonable, for manchester non city area ?
I would only charge you £30 and a pint just because of the comical value...
Sorry shouldnt take the mick realy......

If you were really heating it for as long as you say, I can only assume that there is still some water left in the pipe. Did you also notice any hissing/steam while you were heating? Water has a very high specific heat capacity, which makes it great as a coolant or for carrying around large amounts of heat such as in your central heating system. However, it does also mean that even a few millilitres of water in a pipe can make it completely unworkable in terms of soldering!

yes, it is so classicaly stupid I cant believe i did it..... ( but i can also now understand how feskin easy it is to make a cock up like this ......too easy )

OK, yes, It would be best to replace the entire T piece, however there is another T piece connected to it .....

would it be ok to try to remove the damaged T piece ? I cant believe the pesky little 15mm tube wont come out from the solder-ring 15mm T ?
I was only applying heat to the top of it, had to get under it or to the side, I will need to remove another floorboard to get more access, its very tight and cramped,

looks much nicer / bigger in the photo than it really is

Ha ha ha Are you making you're own flutes now?

Ok I've had my LOL @ u but seriously now you're not the first and won't be the last

Here's a few of thoughts on it

1. The solder will not melt in any pipe that has water in it no matter how long you sit there burning gas.

2. The pipe needs cutting either side of the joist if you want to take the 'flute hole' out

3. A carefully placed blob of solder might probably repair the said 'flute hole' if as it appears; the nail hasn't gone right through and put 2 holes in the pipe.

4. That's a 22x22x15 Tee

as it happens, I did try to solder up the holes. but the solder would not stick to the pipe no matter what, I did clean it 1st with wire wool , may try this again tommorow, I was knackered today, hours of work ( i had already replaced a 15mm section that also I had nailed through...... )

at the time, I had not spotted the 22mm ' flute hole ' , was merely concentrating on the T piece

i need a drink now, dont have water so will need to be some scotch......

any more thoughts on the T piece anyone ?

>>The solder will not melt in any pipe that has water in it no matter how long you sit there burning gas. <<

hmmm, this explains it then, I was there for ages and it would not melt whatsoever......

how to get all the water out ?

OR , if there is a way to SEAL the mashed up 15mm end, I would then fit another T piece further along ?

This is probaly a stupid question but why dont you have any water?
Arent the pipes you pierced all heating pipes?

And the pipe you tryed to blob solder onto probaly had water in it and if this is the case the water steams and blows out of the closest holes...like the one you are trying to cover

>>Arent the pipes you pierced all heating pipes? <<<

VERY GOOD question actually,

I dont know actually, when I turned mains water on, the 22mm pipe starting spurting water out....and boiler + pump were switched off

could be the 22mm supplies cold water to the bath / WC ?

Im really concerned about the T piece, if i could seal up the 15mm end somehow, I could fit another further along .....

Forget messing around with solder you obviously have water in the pipes or over heating them

From the level of your experience i would say to you go and buy some compression fitting and do the whole lot in compression,you cant go wrong with them joints

Pipes should be mechanically protected over the joists precisely for that reason someone however clumsy has potential to nail through them :D :D

As professional i can honestly say .....................................i have done this before :cool: :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back