gas pipe size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just had the gas pipe to my fire replaced with smaller piping that was there previously. Previously the gas fire was supplied by 15mm piping. However, the fitter has now laid 10mm over a 6m run. It seems strange that he'd do this. Is the pipe size sufficient. The fire i believe needs 0.64 m3/h and has input of just under 7kw.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
What material did he use, and how many bends.

Why did he change it ?

What material did he use, and how many bends.

Why did he change it ?

Hi Mate

Thanks for replying. Originally the copper pipe was buried in concrete with no protection. Being the cautious type, I wanted it replacing before I laid down a new floor. However, upon removing the pipe, there was a section that was connected by simplying cutting one piece at an angle and wedging into the other! Unbelievable. Two reasons why I changed it. Anyway, its been replaced in one piece under the concrete using 10mm plastic coated copper piping. In terms of bends, there is an elbow bend as it rises from the floor up to the gas fire and one from the main pipe and one that leads into the floor. In total, theres three. I should also add that there are two slight curves.

Sponsored Links
Is the pipe size sufficient.

The answer's very simple.
No,

Call Gas Safe Register and give them those numbers.
They'll make him change it.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I'm guessing the 15mm would have been sufficient. However, he said that because the pipe is going to be buried under the concrete it needs to be laid without any connections and that the flexible copper pipe comes in a maximum width of 10mm. To be honest this has caused me no end of sleepless nights!

No it doesn't need notifying but it need to comply.

Plastic sleeved Soft copper can be purchased in 15mm x 10m rolls so the fitter is wrong on that point.

Tell the guy to change it, or get on to gassafe as ChrisR said and they will make him change it.

Plastic sleeved Soft copper can be purchased in 15mm x 10m rolls so the fitter is wrong on that point.

Tell the guy to change it, or get on to gassafe as ChrisR said and they will make him change it.

Hi

Once again thanks for the response. I think I'll get another fitter in. The bloke who laid the 8mm is very set in his ways and will just keep on telling me that 8mm is fine. I had my doubts and now you've confirmed them. Any idea what someone else will charge. The channel is already dug out. It just needs connecting at two ends. Obviously, he'll have to put the bends in.

Thanks in advance.

Just looked on internet for 15mm coated soft copper pipe and can't find 10m roles. Any idea of the supplier? I don't want the new fitter telling me I have to buy 20m when 10m is available.

You say in your first post 10mm was used, then later, 8mm.
Anyway, it will be ubdersized. I know of no reason why you can't use joints in a floor, as long as they are not compression fittings. Ifhe can't use a joint, how did he attach his 8mm? :rolleyes:

Ask him if he has done a BURNER pressure test or a gas rate measurement. He is REQUIRED to do at least one of these.

You say in your first post 10mm was used, then later, 8mm.
Anyway, it will be ubdersized. I know of no reason why you can't use joints in a floor, as long as they are not compression fittings. Ifhe can't use a joint, how did he attach his 8mm? :rolleyes:

Ask him if he has done a BURNER pressure test or a gas rate measurement. He is REQUIRED to do at least one of these.

Apologies, I meant 10mm not 8mm. The whole episode has messed my head up! I believe the fitter said you can't have joints buried under concrete. Given that doitall has said 15mm can be purchased in soft copper, I'll get the new fitter to use this....assuming 15mm is sufficient. I'm now in a position where I'll, unfairly so, be suspicious of any fitter who comes around.

BURNER pressure test or a gas rate measurement. He is REQUIRED to do at least one
Both, for a new appliance. Injector could be wrong...

C73 go to this site:
http://www.ukcopperboard.co.uk/lite...ion-Tips/Domestic-gas-planning-and-sizing.pdf
and look at the table.
It's awkward to understand.
You take your gas rate figure, and go along the line for the next one UP.
That means you're in the top left box for 10mm (0.6 is its thickness)
which it says will give a 1mbar drop across the length - of 3 metres.
You're only allowed 1mbar all together, which includes other pipework in line and at the meter etc, so there's no way it's big enough.

Old farts set in their ways give us most trouble in gas assessments. We fail a few of them, and they don't like it.
These are the A_holes the industry would be better off without. Almost as bad as Alec.

Call GSR. The guy should get a kick up the jacksy.

The pipe doesn't have to be plastic wrapped, he can use Denso or similar tape over ordinary pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back