Gas Pipe Under Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm drawing up the regs drawings for an extension, it is being built above an existing gas pipe leading from the road to the meter inside the house. I know that legally British Gas should install a new pipe/meter that will not be built over and remain accessible and that shall be my official advice to the client.

However my question is that if the builder was a bit dodgy as was the owner and they weren't too bothered about building over it, if Building Control were to ever get wind of it could they (BC) insist it be relocated or would that not fall under their jurisdiction?

Sponsored Links
Stick with your advise FMT, where is the meter box going to be in relation to the new extension ie inside ?

Sponsored Links
Ahh, no, its currently inside the house under the stairs on the side of the house and its a side extension that's being built so will be built over the existing run. My official advice is to have BG install a new meter on the fron of the extension and a plumber install a new pipe within the extension from the meter to the boiler. Now obviously as soon as I draw attention to this (as I ought to) on my services drawing an alarm bell may go off at BC headquarters. However if I 'forget' to mark it on my drawing it leaves the ball in my clients hands. (I've already written to my client telling them what they should legally do BTW). I'm just wondering on how much control BC would actually have with this issue?

To be honest in this case I wouldn't be concerned, as long as the pipe is well protected during the build, not sure about your local BC though. I would leave it off your drawings if you are concerned about being picked up on it, I wouldn't pick it up at plan check stage anyway ;)
Have you got your head round the new Oct 2010 ADs yet ? Changes to parts F,L and J :rolleyes:

Thanks mikric, I've not even opened the regs to have a look tbh, been way too busy having just started a proper job again! :( Hoping to get this one in before October although I recall my local BC mentioning that they're giving a few months grace anyway.

IIRC, the Building Act/Regulations does not contain anything specific to building over gas pipes, but the BCO can not allow work to start/proceed if it contravenes another Statute law

This might be fine for the plan checking stage or first inspection, but I'm not sure whether they could issue a stop notice if the work is in progress before the pipe was discovered

I'm sure you could bet that the BCO would not just ignore it and at the very least would be in contact with the gas supplier

This might be fine for the plan checking stage or first inspection, but I'm not sure whether they could issue a stop notice if the work is in progress before the pipe was discovered

I'm sure you could bet that the BCO would not just ignore it and at the very least would be in contact with the gas supplier
Yes I shall be letting the client know the risks should he proceed without doing it by the book.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back