Gas pipework - copper alternatives?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing new gas pipework from my old cooker postion to the new position (a run of about 15ft), my plumber will then do the final connections & test, etc. The problem is getting the pipework under the floor boards, I have 2 floor boards up for access to the floor void but dont really want to lift any more because the whole floor has been covered in hardboard & its a major operation to remove. Can anyone suggest any alternative pipe types to standard copper tube? I was thinking possibly flexible table 'y' copper but am unsure if this can be used this for gas? or a plastic pipe but agian I am unsure of which ones are suitable for gas? Any suggestions would be greatfully received!

Sponsored Links
mike88 said:
I am installing new gas pipework from my old cooker postion to the new position (a run of about 15ft), my plumber will then do the final connections & test, etc. The problem is getting the pipework under the floor boards, I have 2 floor boards up for access to the floor void but dont really want to lift any more because the whole floor has been covered in hardboard & its a major operation to remove. Can anyone suggest any alternative pipe types to standard copper tube? I was thinking possibly flexible table 'y' copper but am unsure if this can be used this for gas? or a plastic pipe but agian I am unsure of which ones are suitable for gas? Any suggestions would be greatfully received!

ring corgi up with this question they will be keen to here from you

or a plastic pipe but agian I am unsure of which ones are suitable for gas? Any suggestions would be greatfully received!

you are having a larf

if you dont even know what pipe to use

LEAVE IT ALONE
my plumber will then do the final connections & test, etc.

why not ask your plumber :?: :?: :?:

if yiu cable it under the floor how are you going to clip it :?: :?:

not so easy is it........
then folk moan at the prices plumbers/gas fitters charge :evil:

Sponsored Links
Just cut a section of the hardboard out using a rip saw set to a depth of 3mm, and then remove the floorboard.... plastic indeed.. :eek:

What are modern gas mains made out of? Wouldn't it be better to explain why this wouldn't work in a domestic environment rather than mocking the guy?

mrscalex said:
What are modern gas mains made out of? Wouldn't it be better to explain why this wouldn't work in a domestic environment rather than mocking the guy?

No point really :eek: :eek: Your not allowed to use it inside a building full stop.

Playing with Gas pipes is hazardous to the occupants unless installed by a competent person.

The plumber thats doing the testing will want to inspect all the pipe and any joints below the floor as well as making sure its the right size from the meter, and that its fixed firmly and protected when replacing the floor boards.

But then again it may be a mate thats doing a favour and not give a mokey's

me thinks the MOD should simply take these posts off with a simple please dont do this work as it endangers your life and your neighbours

MOD

if i wanted to i would
Bhave slogger

already told you i dont exist ;)

Every time I read a gas post on here everyone loves to give the poster a good slagging off. I guess it's good sport ?

As far as I can see the worst thing that can happen is that the pipe can leak, so why the fuss ?

Before 1980's any tom dick and harry could charge to do this work in other people's homes, let's remember corgi only came along because of the odd utterly reprehensible "professional" installer.

I bet 10 years from now because of the ridiculous part P, any conscientious DIY'er who suggests they're doing some research before rewireing their own home will suffer a similar sadistic verbal assault.

If the authorities had any balls, and dropped all there PC bull, they might come up with a few useful regs e.g. ex-cons and ******* can't touch gas/elec.

brummy lad said

As far as I can see the worst thing that can happen is that the pipe can leak

so why the fuss ?

hes joking not a good one but he cant be serious ? can he

To those people who posted constructive comments, thank you, they were helpful & much appreciative. To those others who replyed, if you've got nothing better to do than reply with sarcastic comments dont bother next time thanks. My first point of call WOULD have been my plumber but as he was on holiday for 2 weeks with his phone switched off I'd have had a job getting hold of him so I thought I'd ask for ideas on here. I was asking about plastic pipes (such as Hep2o, wirsbo radipex/tappex, speedfit, etc which are used for heating & domestic water services) so that I could run it in with no joints but I was unsure if anyone manufactured a similar pipe suitable for gas. I can clip it by removing a couple of boards where required by cutting out the hardboard as Gasman1015 suggested, just didnt want all the inconvinience & upheaval of lifting most of the kitchen floor to get 3m lengths of copper in as the floor void is quite shalllow. Im fully aware of the strict rules & regulations set in place regarding gas installation which is why my intention is only to run the pipework in & then have my Corgi Registered plumber fully check, connect up & test the installation, Im not idiot enough to do anything further than the pipework myself. Have since discovered that flexible stainless Tracpipe is suitable for what I require.

Tracpipe is brilliant mate, has saved me a huge amount of time on jobs top stuff it is.

Not slagging off or owt but be carefull with laying the pipe yourself and getting it commisioned by a CORGI, I will do this but ONLY if I can see every tiny weeny bit of the pipe laid, which kinda negates the positive aspect of whacking in trac pipe don't it.

According to gas safety (installation and use) regs Only a proven competent person may install gas that may at any point be required to convey natural gas, so don't even lay it let the CORGI man do it, if he is anything like me he could do with the exercise :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back