Gas PTFE tape vs.water PTFE tape

Do you know DIY gas makes me sick,I spent many years as a retained fireman and have seen loads of gas bangs which have resulted in bad injuries and in a few worse.Get real not only could you kill your family but also your friends family then how would you feel.Prat.

Sponsored Links
Do you know DIY gas makes me sick,I spent many years as a retained fireman and have seen loads of gas bangs which have resulted in bad injuries and in a few worse.Get real not only could you kill your family but also your friends family then how would you feel.Prat.

That's the amazing thing about this forum; Camberwick Green & all the other Google Warriors have the run of the place, handing out incorrect gas advice to the DaftyDIYers. You couldn't make it up??!!!!

Sponsored Links
I realize this thread is old but I used White PTFE plumbing tape (before i knew any better)to fit a friends gas cooker in 13 years ago and done my own 6 years ago. Both houses get the annual safety check and have always passed.
A moot point considering a LLGSC (CP12) doesn't require a tightness test to be carried out.

the price of getting a gas fitter to put a bit of tape round a thread and screwing it in
I guess we can forget about a tightness test/stability bracket/levelling cooker/testing FSD/ventilation/correct position of bayonet in relation to length of cooker hose/whether a side entry backplate elbow might be required.......
What a fookin **** you are...

Wow ten pages ,,, haven't seen pages 2-10 but normal Ptfe is fine , just seen a comment about a cp12 with tt not needed , no it's not needed, but if your rough as fook then you won't carry out one ,,, last engineer out , 4 mins isn't fook all

Wow ten pages ,,, haven't seen pages 2-10 but normal Ptfe is fine , just seen a comment about a cp12 with tt not needed , no it's not needed, but if your rough as fook then you won't carry out one ,,, last engineer out , 4 mins isn't fook all
:mrgreen:... Just sayin.;)

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I’ve had a quick flick through. It made me chuckle so thought id comment. For the record I’m not a gas qualified genius of flammable gases but having worked on industry for 20 years I thought I’d stick my beak in. In fact the reason I thought I would was a comment from a member “Agile” who on the first page commented that with parallel threads a lot of plumbers struggle to seal with PTFE. That made me chuckle a lot. Any plumber trying to seal a parallel thread be it gas or water wants his brains dusting. There’s a simple reason, BSPT threads are sealed with PTFE or similar whereas BSPP threads are DESIGNED to be sealed with a washer. Traditionally fibre or copper but nowadays a dowty seal. If my apprentice started wrapping a parallel thread with PTFE he’s in for some trouble. And as for fancy sealing pastes etc. I dare any man to try and seal pure oxygen fittings or similar with a sealing paste on a parallel thread.....you think gas explosions aren’t fun...wait till you see pure oxygen find grease!!!

Manchester

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back