ptfe tape

Is it ok to use ptfe tape on olives when putting rad valves on.
regards max

Yes.

Also wrap about 12 turns of ptfe tape on the thread. Pull tight and keep it neat though, as once you tighten the nuts, the tape may push outwards from the sides and be visible.

Went to a radiator job last week where the gas safe installer had done this, with the ptfe tape clearly visible on the radiator valve joints. looked terrible.
Rubbish ! :eek:

Sponsored Links
My plumber uses a wrap or two of PTFE on all his compression joint threads. 30+ years experience, plus does teaching. Sounds like Naz may know him :oops:

PTFE on the thread will probably cause leaks than fix them! the threaded pats is what mates the cone and the nut. PTFE on the olive is perfectly acceptable. Belt and braces.

Sponsored Links
I only use jointing compound on olive, never PTFE.

I only use PTFE on radiator valve tail ( the bit that go in radiator ) and on male thread that screw into female thread. Used to have hemp and jointing compound before but it a untidy joint.

On immersion heater, no PTFE, only jointing compound as fibre washer is enough.

What I hate is PTFE on tap connector, difficult to remove it when you want to use fibre washer.

Dan.

my tutors were both ex BG, apprentice boys (well old men now with bad backs) time served
they said PTFE tape on threads was the sign of an amateur

Agreed. Any sign of ptfe on compression joints makes the installer looks like an amateur. Hate to see it.

PTFE on a compression is either a sign of misshapen olive or lack of confidence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back