Gas PTFE tape vs.water PTFE tape

Sponsored Links
Norcon said:
As for the low porosity thats overcome by lapping more tape around the threads.
No, it isn't.
That would make it thicker (ie more like you)
But just as dense as ever (Exacltly like you)

If it has low porosity then how come I have used the stuff on industrial refrigeration systems pressurised to 30 bar in some cases and NO leaks ?. EVER !.
Well as you can't tell the difference between high porosity and low porosity, there isn't much point explaining.

Onetap yoy are good at quoting so try quoting where i said it joints un screwed themselves .
I never said anything of the sort . What was said is . When the WRONG tape is used to make the joint tight and it does degrade (proven at BG testing house) .There is less sealent between the threads and the joint is then loose and no longer gas tight. And in some cases not far off hand tight.
How do i know this , simple i have attended hundreds of leaks that have appeared a couple of years down the line after people like yourself thought tape is tape. In your job you never had to attend to gas leaks so you yet again have not got a clue as per your previous post on leaving a gas leak

Can Onetap now have an explaination why we cant use insulation tape to seal threads

Sponsored Links
Would love to see the test results showing it degrades - would prove the manufacturers claims that it is chemically inert wrong. And PTFE is used in far more onerous situations than domestic gas joints for that very reason - it is INERT.

Density is addressed when you tighten up the joint, the tape is compressed into the gaps increasing its density.

Onetap yoy are good at quoting so try quoting where i said it joints un screwed themselves .

OK

The guy who said explode would have been have been referring to what could happen indirectly. When you have worked on the gas emergency side and been to as many leaks on joints on normal PTFE that have loosened off as the tape within deteriorated and left serious leaks perhaps you would not find his comments so funny

Namsag said that the joints loosened off as the tape within deteriorated. The joints do not loosen off.

The tape does not deteriorate. It is inert. It has gold medals for inertness in the Olympic freestyle inertia marathon.

Can Onetap now have an explaination why we cant use insulation tape to seal threads

You can if you like, I'm not telling you what to do.

There's no point in getting the hump with me just because I asked a question.

If we are saying it is inert, and does not react to gas then surely a leak will show up on a soundness test from installation. If it does not, and we are saying it does not deterioate then when would a leak actually occur?

(presuming no one has hit the joint in question with a hammer etc)

I'm interested to know what makes gas tape so special, other than the extra thickness and price!

Sam

Norcon said:
As for the low porosity thats overcome by lapping more tape around the threads.
No, it isn't.
That would make it thicker (ie more like you)
But just as dense as ever (Exacltly like you)

If it has low porosity then how come I have used the stuff on industrial refrigeration systems pressurised to 30 bar in some cases and NO leaks ?. EVER !.
Well as you can't tell the difference between high porosity and low porosity, there isn't much point explaining.

If you have finished with your insulting remarks try explaining what the chemical difference is between normal ptfe and gas grade ptfe. :rolleyes:
If its too difficult for you provide a link which explains it in black and white without the insults.

Onetap had the decency to provide a link stating that both are manufactured from 100% pure, virgin PTFE and containing less than 0.1% wt residual lubricant.

A Google search for "PTFE gas tape porosity" found this.

http://www.cobasuk.com/index.php?page=gas-sealing-tape&hl=en

It seems to confirm the above.

So a cheap PTFE tape may have the same dimensions as a spool of more expensive tape, but it may contain less PTFE because it has been expanded to minimize the material cost.

Thanks to all who assisted in finding an answer. Out.

mmm, Softus throws a spanner in the works on page 3

Realises he is not a gas engineer and ducks out for 4 pages of RGI's arguing.

Then pick up again when the subject has gone 'off topic'

Why not take this to the combustion chamber where he cannot interfere?

This is a gas issue afterall isnt it?

Dave

Onetap loosened off is not unscrewed it loosens off because without the filler of the ptfe then the taper joints are not as tight as the would be with the correct filler ie proper ptfe, can you not get your head around what is tight initially and what is not when the sealent goes . Very basic

This is a gas issue afterall isnt it?

Dave

No! Its about PTFE, Leave it here.

It's quite interesting as well as heartwarming to see how these "Tradesmen" are bonding together like a band of brothers, Each offering a humble opinion in a quest to ease the suffering of a fellow tradesmans query.

namsag wrote

can you not get your head around what is tight initially

I doubt if they were "tight" initially.
Neither torque "tight" nor "gas " tight due to incompetence which is why they leaked.
A decent pressure test would have shown up the inferiority of these joints at the time of installation.

Norcon fek off till you have a clue what your on about

I have no doubt what so ever I could condemn most of your gas grade ptfe joints when tested to a stringent refrigeration PED pressure test specification.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back