ptfe tape

Sponsored Links
FAR TOO MANY,
Count yourself among them IronNaz[/quote]

some off you guys are very rude do you know that?

Anyway i'm certainly not a cowboy. Considering my parents came from India, i'm indian :)

Maybe my company signs could read :"You've tried the cowboys, now try the indians" :LOL:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hey Naz , wrapping tape around the threads of a compression fitting don't do jack , see this so many times.

Can you explain what the PTFE actually does when wrapping around the thread for making a water tight joint?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hey Naz , wrapping tape around the threads of a compression fitting don't do jack , see this so many times.

Can you explain what the PTFE actually does when wrapping around the thread for making a water tight joint?

Its simply a "good practice" i was taught at college by my plumbing lecturers who worked in this field for many years. Ive taken it on board and always done this. As i've seen many joints in customers homes with PTFE tape on them, ive just accepted this as the norm.

Sponsored Links
Its simply a "good practice" i was taught at college by my plumbing lecturers who worked in this field for many years. Ive taken it on board and always done this. As i've seen many joints in customers homes with PTFE tape on them, ive just accepted this as the norm.

Could we not 'do away' with the olive and simply just tape the threads?

ffs he is clearly talking about the threads of the rad valve tail

Yes, I was wondering this too. Naz can you clear this up for us? Are you talking about PTFEing the compression nut thread or the tail that actually screws into the hole in the radiator?

i like to wrap the thread, the olive and the nut with ptfe just to be sure.
I wrap the pipes right the way round to the ground since it is easier than painting them ;)

I'm surprised that nobody on here is extolling the virtues of loctite55 in preference to ptfe on the rad tails. :)

I'm surprised that nobody on here is extolling the virtues of loctite55 in preference to ptfe on the rad tails.

You can't wrap the pipe to make it nice and white with L55.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back