Gas PTFE tape vs.water PTFE tape

Excellent i would imagine you could because the pressures are far different and so are the regs. Whoopy do :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
As a matter of interest (OK, well I found it interesting). the Cobasuk link posted above has a PTFE tape suitable for use with oxygen from which the petroleum based solvent/lubricant has been removed.

The gas & plumbing tapes mentioned earlier had "...less than 0.1% wt residual lubricant".

If PTFE tape doesn't react with oxygen (which reacts with most things), I'm very dubious that it would degrade in contact with gas.

I'm not sure you can rely on anything on a site called "Cobasuk"; it sounds like a dating site for gay Aussies.

If we are saying it is inert, and does not react to gas then surely a leak will show up on a soundness test from installation. If it does not, and we are saying it does not deterioate then when would a leak actually occur?
Sam

I'd think it would take a while for gas to permeate through a porous taped joint. I suspect you'd need a ppm leak detector to confirm that it was leaking when the gas did finally trickle through.

I'm interested to know what makes gas tape so special, other than the extra thickness and price!
Sam

Greater density, more PTFE per unit volume, fewer voids, less porosity.

Right have i got this right, the thin stuff in white coils is for gas and thick stuff in yellow coils is for water. :LOL:

So which do i use on lpg :cry:

Sponsored Links
I realize this thread is old but I used White PTFE plumbing tape (before i knew any better)to fit a friends gas cooker in 13 years ago and done my own 6 years ago. Both houses get the annual safety check and have always passed. I am not saying they will or wont leak or whats wrong or Right, just mentioning how long they have lasted so far. By the way, the PTFE tape was just used to fit the rubber hose to the cooker.

Of course you're fully qualified & a competent Gas Engineer, registered with Gas Safe & full experienced to meet the criteria of your 'friends' house insurance?

DIY gas work is illegal.

Of course you're fully qualified & a competent Gas Engineer, registered with Gas Safe & full experienced to meet the criteria of your 'friends' house insurance?

DIY gas work is illegal.
Just for your benefit i will say again : I am not saying they will or wont leak or whats wrong or Right, just mentioning how long they have lasted so far, as for house insurance it might surprise you to know that some people cant afford the luxury of insurance, or the price of getting a gas fitter to put a bit of tape round a thread and screwing it in

Just for your benefit i will say again : I am not saying they will or wont leak or whats wrong or Right, just mentioning how long they have lasted so far, as for house insurance it might surprise you to know that some people cant afford the luxury of insurance, or the price of getting a gas fitter to put a bit of tape round a thread and screwing it in

So, you advocate not having house insurance & getting some DaftyDIYer to connect a gas cooker??!!
If they can afford a new gas cooker, surely they can afford home insurance? Get real.

The man is a total moron Dicky. Hopefully also a wind up merchant.

Oh without question, unfortunately this forum is polluted with morons & Google Warriors.
Which is unfortunate for the genuine DIYers trying to get questions answered.

Go to posts 7,8,9,10+ and read them.Someone said White tape corrodes. All i am stating is just a fact that its lasted for 13 years. Thats it, end of as i explained in my first post. I didnt want to argue or discuss it, i will leave that to you lot, but it is a fact. By the way the cooker wasn't new and i never said i advocated not getting house insurance just that some people cant afford to .

Go to posts 7,8,9,10+ and read them.Someone said White tape corrodes. All i am stating is just a fact that its lasted for 13 years. Thats it, end of as i explained in my first post. I didnt want to argue or discuss it, i will leave that to you lot, but it is a fact. By the way the cooker wasn't new and i never said i advocated not getting house insurance just that some people cant afford to .

So you're completely unqualified & fitting a second hand cooker??!!
This must be a wind-up??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back