ptfe tape

Sponsored Links
ffs he is clearly talking about the threads of the rad valve tail

Yes, I was wondering this too. Naz can you clear this up for us? Are you talking about PTFEing the compression nut thread or the tail that actually screws into the hole in the radiator?

The 12 wraps ptfe is for the thread on the tail going into the rad.

Although i do generally wrap a couple of turns of ptfe on most threads.

Sponsored Links
threaded joint`s ptfe yes
but not thread on a compresion joint
as has pointed out it does jack

You mean the "insert" you pillock. :eek: :rolleyes:

City & Guilds my backside.
pathead.gif

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hey Naz , wrapping tape around the threads of a compression fitting don't do jack , see this so many times.

Can you explain what the PTFE actually does when wrapping around the thread for making a water tight joint?

Its simply a "good practice" i was taught at college by my plumbing lecturers who worked in this field for many years. Ive taken it on board and always done this. As i've seen many joints in customers homes with PTFE tape on them, ive just accepted this as the norm.

i dont know where you were taught or by who, but take it from me, you were conned and done out of money go straight back and tell them Kirk the plumber said you are talking mince, and you dont know what you are talking about, occassionaly i have used a couple of turns of ptfe tape on a mis-shaped, previously tightened OLIVE to seal a weep, i have necer put ptfe tape on a compression fitting thread, it wont do anything except make me look like a DIY novice, not even a DIY expert, of whom there are many who wouldnt do this, so sorry if you were taught this by a plumber, you weren't listening/watching properly or he was an idiot

ffs he is clearly talking about the threads of the rad valve tail

Yes, I was wondering this too. Naz can you clear this up for us? Are you talking about PTFEing the compression nut thread or the tail that actually screws into the hole in the radiator?

Although i do generally wrap a couple of turns of ptfe on most threads.

You almost redeemed yourself with the first sentence. Then you go and blow it all with the second. :rolleyes:

Play nicely, children!

Anyway, the more PTFE/Loctite 55/Boss White-Blue-Green-pink-striped you lot use, the more I'll sell. Use as much as you can.

[Went to a radiator job last week where the gas safe installer had done this, with the ptfe tape clearly visible on the radiator valve joints. looked terrible.
boss white and hemp - cleaned off with a hacksaw blade :idea: Loctite , Schmoctite :mrgreen: If Nadz said he used a wrench , you lot would moan that it`s a spanner :rolleyes:

I use shifters :D

Hemp and boss white, cleaning with hacksaw blade, reminds me of my apprenticeship :cry:

threaded joint`s ptfe yes
but not thread on a compresion joint
as has pointed out it does jack

No, no, it serves a useful purpose. See post No 4.

When a proper plumber is summoned to fix the leaks, it serves as a red flag to warn him the plumbing was done by a cowboy and all prices should be jacked up accordingly.

So, yeah, whack it on Naz, 20 turns, at least.
Yeeeeehar!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back