Gas safe are you sure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right how many of you are aware that if someone flashed a gas safe card which is up to date might not mean they are actually qualified to work on what you have specifically called them out too ? Ive just answered an appliance query on here (a gas tumble dryer) and ended up on my soap box so thought id ask the question on the general forum

Sponsored Links
Who cares as long as they are cheap?

Behave...most of them still think corgi are the gas safety police........the ones that's heard of corgi that is. :LOL:

Interesting point which makes sense for example just because someone is a qualified doctor does not make them a heart surgeon.

There's a difference between "qualified" and "capable". How can someone check to determine whether a qualified person is capable of dealing with a specific problem with a specific appliance?

Sponsored Links
You can check to see if he's qualified for the appliance by looking at the gas safe card. Whether he's capable is another matter.

There's more money in condemning boilers and charging for new ones than repairing old ones - so that's what they do. Charlatans the lot of them.

But sooey the front of the gas safe card (the side with your photo on ) is identical across all catagorys so its only if you ask to look at the back of the card do you see the list or in some cases the only element they are qualified to work on and thats my point so to everyone i would say dont be embarassed to ask for the card as if they are geniune as i am then ive paid a lot a money for this bit of plastic and in no way would i be unhappy to show it off to you

You can go on the Gas safe web site, If you put in your Post code the first 50 RGI's will pop up and you can check all there Ac's

I've seen the no-hopers in the plumbing forum - all taking wild guesses and usually getting it wrong. When the BG man turns up an fixes it they don't arf look silly. Wild guesswork, that's what they call system analysis.

There's more money in condemning boilers and charging for new ones than repairing old ones - so that's what they do. Charlatans the lot of them.

Trouble is joe, if you repair a fault on some twenty year old heap of cr*p that's never been looked at and get it running again, you then "own" all the other faults that will rear their ugly heads in the months to come. Then, when you try explaining to someone you only cleaned the pilot and it's not your fault that the pump/fan/gas valve has gone t*ts up, they think I'm getting conned here, just like you would. You can't win.......

unless you flog em a nice shiny new, modern, efficient appliance of course. :LOL: :mrgreen:

No joe thats british gas tactics not the majority of proper gas fitters m8 ;)

You've started the wind up merchant on his favourite subject now captain,
well done. He'll be back on the plumbing forum posting all kinds of cr*p now under his false IDs. :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back