gas supply and flue termination

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im installing a 24 KW heat only boiler, the appliance being removed only has a 15mm visible gas supply. What are the chances of the new appliance working correctly without tracing the supply back to the nearest 22mm?

Also there is a neighbouring property approx 2.5 metres opposite the flue terminal. Is this sufficient distance to be considered safe and not a nuisance?

Cheers Dyson

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't really be fitting boilers if you're not registered :!:

As Dave says do a gas pipe calculation!! ;)
Also if you are registered you will know where to look for flue terminations etc.

Sponsored Links
Also if you are registered you will know where to look for flue terminations etc.

The ruddy thick book that comes with the boiler would be a good start :rolleyes:

Is that "ruddy thick book" in the box not for putting you tea and biscuits on, :oops: :oops:

poor turn of phrase i think, when i say installing i mean having, or thinking of having installed. i've been doing some internet research and these are questions i,ve flagged up. with regards the flue i,ve downloaded a copy of the installers instructuctions from the manufacturer they i,m considering using and they are a little unclear on this . i think the gas supply will need changing but i was just trying to get a general idea of what may need doing to avoid being ripped off when quoted

If its 2.5m 'as the crow flies' from the flue to neighbours property then it should be ok........

If the plume is an issue all boiler Manufacturers do a plume management kit. The gas line issue is best left to the installer, he can test and calculate if needed any upgrade of the gas line. Issues such as meter size, gas pipe length and pipe size plus boiler kw and whole house kw come into it...not really a diy subject

the appliance being removed only has a 15mm visible gas supply. What are the chances of the new appliance working correctly without tracing the supply back to the nearest 22mm?
impossible to say. Leave it to your installer to decide. If it really isn't possible to access it easily then it could be fitted and tested, then the a new supply run if required. I've done this before, but the customer has to really have your trust and agree to a possible additional cost on the price of the work.
Also there is a neighbouring property approx 2.5 metres opposite the flue terminal. Is this sufficient distance to be considered safe and not a nuisance?

Its usually sufficient for regulations, but it could still cause a nusiance so a plume kit should be considered as an option.

24Kw heat boiler is a big house or very poorly insulated. :rolleyes:

John, most likely it is a Heinz beanz can steamer.

As mentioned, the installer will be able to measure this in no more than a couple of minutes, but I doubt the 15 mm will be enough.
How did you come to your 24 kW choice, do you have 24 metres of radiator panels?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back