Gas tester?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Have you never heard the saying ' A little knowledge is a dangerous thing'
Better than no knowledge at all.
The gas regs are there to protect people from incompetents in society (of whom there are many) causing death or injury to others, So if the likes of you and onetap had your way, and it was made easier for anyone to work on gas, we all know that there are many people who would be able to work safely. But how many would there be who 'think' that they can work safely but haven't got a clue. By the way for 'onetaps sake, tests for competence are available, their called ACS. Anyone who can be bothered with the rigmarole is able to sit them.

The key is safety not monopoly and certainly not making money for the kennel club.

there are far more fatal accidents caused by electricity than gas

Maybe it's not just a money making scheme after all

:D

He could do that, but they're not called Transco anymore. I think it's National Grid. They changed their name due the adverse publicity after they blew someone up. And his family.
[/url]

:LOL: wally

More insults.
No answers.

10th October 2005, from Wikipedia;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transco

In 2005, National Grid Transco was renamed National Grid plc. On July 26, 2005 National Grid Company was renamed National Grid Electricity Transmission plc and on October 10, 2005 Transco was renamed National Grid Gas plc.

25th August 2005 after a 6 month trial.
Read it and weep.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4184962.stm

Ductile iron medium-pressure gas mains.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4185580.stm

"No form of discount is available in respect of any acceptance of responsibility by Transco for their manifest and now proven shortcomings. Rather the company have chosen to attempt to blame the explosion on an internal pipe leak, for which they are not responsible, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. There was no evidence at all in this case that such an internal leak had occurred. That aspect of the defence by the company serves only to demonstrate that the corporate mind of Transco has little or no remorse for this tragedy which, they ought at least now to accept, was exclusively their own creation."

So, is an apology in order?
Or would that require some integrity?

Are there no grown-ups here?

Sponsored Links
Maybe it's not just a money making scheme after all
Possibly but I think it's more a reflection that it's easier for a knowledgeable and skilled DIY'er to undertake gas work safely than electrical work ... But that is only my opinion.

Sooey Wrote:
So if the likes of you and onetap had your way, and it was made easier for anyone to work on gas, we all know that there are many people who would be able to work safely. But how many would there be who 'think' that they can work safely but haven't got a clue.
How could it possibly be made any easier Sooey? If you want to DIY your own installation you go ahead and do so ... LABC, in my experience, don't give a stuff.
All Onetap and I are saying is ... If people are intent on DIY'ing and the law allows them to do so then let's give them as much help as possible so that they do it safely.

The only opposition to this common sense approach is from the Kennel Club and its members and there's an obvious conflict of interest there ;)

MW

Possibly but I think it's more a reflection that it's easier for a knowledgeable and skilled DIY'er to undertake gas work safely than electrical work ... But that is only my opinion.

Maybe. Personally i'd put it down to the fact that in a house theres one gas pipe as opposed to FE 30 sockets, 10 light fittings etc regulary getting updated and people are less intimidated by electrics and take greater risks IMHO

Permissible pressure loss in 20 Mins or 2 Mins? There,s only one muppet ,mush and that,s YOU !

All Onetap and I are saying is ... If people are intent on DIY'ing and the law allows them to do so then let's give them as much help as possible so that they do it safely.
OK fine, why not just do away with Corgi altogether while were at it, let everyone have a go. The point I'm making is that giving people as much help as possible to do it safely, is giving people encouragement to have a go. Either you have a gas safety body or you don't. You can't expect people to pay thousands in training and equipment costs to be classified as safe, while encouraging everybody to do their own gas work.

Sooey Wrote:
You can't expect people to pay thousands in training and equipment costs to be classified as safe, while encouraging everybody to do their own gas work.
You have just completely vindicated my point ... Loss of revenue to RGI's above gas safety for everyone.

Professionals need regulation and that is Corgi.

Who is regulating DIY'ers Sooey?

Answer ... Nobody.

And the law allows them to LEGALLY undertake the work.

Do you see anything wrong with this, assuming you can put aside your loss of earnings for a minute :LOL:

Hi all

I am a diyer and have done alot of pipe work with water pipes but have just put a gas fire in. The end what went into the fire was a compression joint ant i had to do one solder joint to connect the supply to the fire joint. I have tested it with fairy liquid but my g/f dad want it double checking with a leak test to put his mind at rest. II know it is 100 percent safe but just want to show him and he doesnt believe me that you can use fairy liquid.

P.S I didnt need it today and please dont start saying i am not corgi registered.

I think you'll find that people did for many decades G4Y which is why the question so often pops up :LOL:

O.K. so youre not corgi,did you do a flue flow test,check ventilation ,gas rate the appliance and carry out a safety device "correct operation"?

Hi all

I am a diyer and have done alot of pipe work with water pipes but have just put a gas fire in. The end what went into the fire was a compression joint ant i had to do one solder joint to connect the supply to the fire joint. I have tested it with fairy liquid but my g/f dad want it double checking with a leak test to put his mind at rest. II know it is 100 percent safe but just want to show him and he doesnt believe me that you can use fairy liquid.

P.S I didnt need it today and please dont start saying i am not corgi registered.

You are exactly the kind of person who stops the instruction of DIYers in gas safety.
Excellent, you may have a leak free joint. CO KILLS. How do you know that your flue and ventilation is OK?
I hope it is...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back