Gas valve not shutting fully (Baxi Solo 2 50PF)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had Corgi guy around this morning to service/fix boiler - the seal on the flue has gone so he's done a temporary fix with some sealant so it now fires up witout me having to go outside and partly cover flue for a second or two.

Whilst he had it apart he showed me that although the boiler was turned off the pilot light was remaining on as the solenoid/valve wasn't shutting off fully.

Hes quoted me 230 to replace the gas valve/solenoid and also fit a new seal - does that sound reasonable, he said it was safe to use for now but i obviously want to get it sorted for piece of mind... Although part of me is wondering if its really an issue as cant think why i would turn boiler off?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
No the gas supply to your boiler should be isolated immediately, your engineer should not have left it on, if the pilot solenoid is letting by and the pilot is distinguished for some reason, you have no protection to stop a build up of unburnt gas inside the boiler

Had Corgi guy around this morning to service/fix boiler - the seal on the flue has gone so he's done a temporary fix with some sealant so it now fires up witout me having to go outside and partly cover flue for a second or two.

Whilst he had it apart he showed me that although the boiler was turned off the pilot light was remaining on as the solenoid/valve wasn't shutting off fully.

Hes quoted me 230 to replace the gas valve/solenoid and also fit a new seal - does that sound reasonable, he said it was safe to use for now but i obviously want to get it sorted for piece of mind... Although part of me is wondering if its really an issue as cant think why i would turn boiler off?
Bizarre.Very...As said, turn it off...find v different engr..Scary if an engr said and did that.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back