Gas vs electric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone done a costing over (say) 10 or 15 years to compare the cost of gas central heating/cooking vs off-peak electric heating/cooking. I automatically assumed that gas would be cheaper by far but what if you take into account installation and maintenance costs which can be high for a gas central heating system (e.g. annual boiler servicing, pump/valves breakdowns) particularly when plumbers/CORGI installers need to be involved. Interested in people's views but more interested in hard facts.

Sponsored Links
My gas boiler , basic type, has cost £20 in parts [ a couple of thermocouples over about 14 years [was second hand when installed] very little to go wrong, though can't be said for combi boiler, my daughters just replaced her third combi in 5 years [replaced three over two properties]
Still think electricity is more expensive overall.

Electrical maintenence and installation costs are as high as gas these days due to all the rules and regulations relating to working with electrics. Also electric cabling and fittings probably deteriorate faster than a copper tube carrying gas?
Don't know.
Unless you were due to change you system, I don't think the cheaper option would pay for itself for many years.
Found this slightly relevent post on another forum http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=722883

Sponsored Links
Pgreen doesn't care, he posts and goes, look at the other posts he has made, but for some unknown reason the mods don't what you to know that

Thanks for all your comments, especially for the link from Gday2UK. Information from that link has persuaded a colleague to think a lot more carefully about going for the all-electric option. I suspect, however, that there must be a cross-over point in relative costs as the size of the dwelling increases. For example, a one-bedroom starter home would probably be more suited to all-electric (with off peak heating), not just in terms of installation but also running costs, than say a 4-bedroom house.

I’d also like to thank Breezer for the off-topic, unhelpful post but unfortunately I can’t.

Has anyone done a costing over (say) 10 or 15 years to compare the cost of gas central heating/cooking vs off-peak electric heating/cooking.
I have.

I conducted a very comprehensive analysis, which takes into account the changes in efficiency of glass vs. aluminium saucepans at the thermal interface, the increase in popularity of appliance such as rice boilers and food steamers, and the cost to the planet of delivering the different forms of energy.

I automatically assumed that gas would be cheaper by far but what if you take into account installation and maintenance costs which can be high for a gas central heating system (e.g. annual boiler servicing, pump/valves breakdowns) particularly when plumbers/CORGI installers need to be involved.
You're so right, and so few people understand that these need to be amortised into the cost of use. My analysis is so thorough that it includes not only installation and maintenance costs, but also a pro-rata, age-adjusted, statistically weighted mitigation for the risk of avoiding gas explosions and electrocution. I had to make certain assumptions about funeral expenses, but those are clearly stated and can be adjusted in the accompanying spreadsheet.

Interested in people's views but more interested in hard facts.
I deal in nothing but hard facts, and the conclusion of my analysis was that one type of energy is definitely more expensive than the other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back