GasSafe and the quality of registered gas fitters

Sponsored Links
How could that possibly be quantified?

It is un-likely that accurate statistics can be obtained.

Where the exposure to CO continues the flu symptom become worse, flu treatments do not work and eventually the patient does seek medical aid. (*) Then the symptoms of CO poisoning are likely to be recognised by the medic. The medic will suggest that necessary actions to find and remove the source of CO are carried out. Whether this is official reported depends on the affected person. They nay just call the plumber back to fix the problem and leave it at that.

(*) Or they do not seek medical aid until too late and they die.

Sponsored Links
Gas Tag seems a good idea

Click HERE

Can you support that with a link to relevent guidelines or regulations ? Reporting over 4000 non fatal CO incidents per year would keep the HSE very busy. And many near casualties believe they have flu and do not report themselves as CO casualties.
As a confirmed CO report investigator , I think I might know more than you, I think I might know more than your theories Benny boy

The system is woefully inadequate yes.

But so is the level of accuracy /research carried out by this shambles of a TV show.

TV needs a "story". I did not watch this programme, as it is akin to the Daily Star in video format.

The producers DO do their research, but only in that the (in this case) installers are NOT just random guys. They have been highlighted / selected in one way or another as of interest, prior to the programme filming. The producers are fairly confident that the selected installer will drop themselves in it on camera.

I lost any faith many years ago. A similar programme set up a boiler (something like an E type, IIRC). They slightly loosened the Thermocouple. They went on to accuse those guys who swapped the TC as rip off merch's. It left me thinking "Thank Christ it wasn't me". A Q309A (genuine ) is only around a tenner now. One obviously would not apply the same logic to a £50 OSD or an expensive sensor, but any indication there was a fault on it - I changed them. In fact, I explained to the punter, that if I left the "dodgy" TC, they would be responsible to pay for a revisit if the TC actually was faulty . (And, in case Tony is reading and feels compelled to return, I know I could have measured the voltage etc - but that time was worth more than a TC charge.

They have been highlighted / selected in one way or another as of interest, prior to the programme filming. The producers are fairly confident that the selected installer will drop themselves in it on camera.

The installers were not involved in the program, it was the people affected by carbon monoxide that were featured, GasSafe declined an invitation to attend for interview. Maybe they feared they would drop themselves into it on camera.

Last edited:
As a confirmed CO report investigator , I think I might know more than you, I think I might know more than your theories Benny boy

A retired Fire Investigation Officer and a semi retired insurance company accident investigator probably know more than you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back