GATEVALVE VS STOPCOCK:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst people are good enough to answer my silly questions, can I ask another!! Do gatevalves totally stop water flow or does a little still dribble through? I know a working stopcock is 100% - isn't it better to use these on the outlets from the loft tank, they surely don't impede flow too much?

Sponsored Links
Working gate valves shut off fully.

Stop taps dramaticaly decrease flow rate due to there design. Whereas gatevalves are full bore (same as the pipe size) when fully open - hence, not restricting any flow at all. Which is why they are used ;)

Another option would be a full bore iso valve, or full bore lever valve ;)

Sponsored Links
Gate valves are not designed to be used on mains pressure though

Not all gate valves are full bore, the cheap ones i picked up from plumbcenter the other day were only about 13mm through the centre and that was on the 28mm gatevalve. i took it back and swapped it for a pegler.

That'll be because plumb centres own gate valves dont conform to the bs.

Plunb-centre should be given a swift kick up the derriere for selling sub-standard fittings. Many DIYers wouldn't spot this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back