gearbox oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to do a gearbox oil change on my renault coupe 1.6 16v P2 and the spec says to use 75/80w, however I went to CES and they dont have it but they have a newer spec, so the guy claims, which is 75/90. Can anyone advise me on this spec or should I go for the original 75/80. Renault boxes are not the best in the world so I dont want to prematurely help it on its way to the scrap yard :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Try a factor, like Unipart/ Partco, Or if no luck go to a main renault garage.

Sounds feasible. At low temperature both oils will perform identically (within the specifications for SAE 75 at low temperature). At higher temperatures, however the 75/90 will not thin as much as the 75/80.

Renault dealers will usually have the oil in bulk.Take a container your gearbox will hold arond 3.5 litres,and ask them to fill it for you,like you say better to be on the safe side a use the correct oil! :oops:

Sponsored Links
CONFUSE said:
Renault dealers will usually have the oil in bulk.Take a container your gearbox will hold arond 3.5 litres,and ask them to fill it for you,like you say better to be on the safe side a use the correct oil! :oops:
I never realised Renault dealers were so helpful :confused: . My nearest branch is Crewe in Cheshire and I try to get my supplies from anywhere but there.
Reason being is that Iv'e phoned them on many occasions, only to be told by the extremely intelligent receptionist that the parts dept that I require is busy, but if I leave my name and number they will call back. This happened numerous times over a 5 day period. I was after a price for a full cambelt ,tensioner, water pump service. Obviously they dont need the custom. So now I go to Renault in Northwich :D , far better customer service.
Anyway Confuse, thanks for that. Iv'e had my moan for the day but will contact Northwich and see if they will help. ;)

TexMex said:
Sounds feasible. At low temperature both oils will perform identically (within the specifications for SAE 75 at low temperature). At higher temperatures, however the 75/90 will not thin as much as the 75/80.

Well Ive used the 75/90. I have asked the same question on several engine related sites and the general aswer is, it will be fine :D

Back