Geberit seal leaking again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced the old blue/grey rubber seal a few years back which was fitted to the flush valve as it had bubbled up.

Found a website which said that the part had been replaced with a new design made out of silicone which won't have the same problems!!!

You've guessed it, valve started leaking again. When I took the valve apart the silicon washer had water bubbles in it again!!

I've now burst all the bubbles and reversed the washer and it now seals OK.

Is there any total fix apart from changing the valve to another manufacturer, or do I have to just change it regularly.

Richard

Sponsored Links
@RichD1 May we ask you to specify the type of cistern you are using and which seal is broken? @just pumps is right, the quality of the water is a very important factor which influences the seal's life period. Limescale is often an issue which you can solve by cleaning the cistern with some vinegar. Depending on the quality of the water the fill valve may be worn off. So please check and replace the whole fill valve if nessecary.

We recommend using original Geberit spare if it's a Geberit cistern and fill valve. Other products might not fit.

In case you need some support, you may also call the technical service.
[email protected]
Tel: 01926 516800
For spare parts, you may check our online catalogue: http://www.geberit.co.uk/en_uk/targ...vice/spare_parts_installer/spare_parts_2.html

Hope this helps
Olaf (Geberit Social Media Team)

Hi Olaf,

The toilet unit is the compact corner loo from Ideal Standard.

I originally replaced the supplied seal about 5 years ago which was about 5 years from being installed. On both occasions I have never found any limescale around the seal or fittings. Both times the seal has shown signs of water breakdown through the visible bubbles around the seal.

The replacement seal was an original Geberit part as it's got the name manufactured into it.

What causes the silicon to take in water which causes the bubbles?

Richard

Sponsored Links
Hi Richard,
I'm working on this with our technical department. Do you have some pictures?

Basically we do recommend using original Ideal Standard parts in your Ideal Standard cistern. However, let me check with our team. Unfortunately due to holiday season it takes a bit longer than expected.
Olaf

I have the same problem with our Geberit concealed cistern, have to take it apart periodically to burst the bubbles on the seal as it lets by consistently.....

Unfortunately I've pricked all the water blisters and squeezed out the water and it seals OK now.

There are pictures of the water blisters somewhere on the web, I'll try and see if I can find to send to you.

Richard

Right, found some images of the original blue/grey seal which looked exactly like the one I took out a few years back with several water blisters covering the surface.

I then bought the white silicone version in the 2nd picture from an eBay seller but it got the Geberit name moulded into it.

This silicone washer has now blistered but not such big bubbles which I've burst and pushed the water out so that it can seal again.

Hope this helps and you can come up with a revise washer that doesn't have the water blister problem.

From reading the various forums it seems like it is a major problem which needs sorting.

Richard

SyphonSeal .jpg
s-l1000.jpg

Sorry, I've literally only just sorted it on Monday - it happens every couple of months so will send you picks then, but they will look exactly like Rich's. Can't see that this is due to the water quality to be honest?

Ok, thanks for your udates! We have given a heads up to the teams.
@Screwed, currently I cannot say it's not the water or it is the water. I'm waiting for the technician's reply. However, we have spoken very generic in the beginning of this conversation and in most cases water quality is an issue if seal rings are not working properly. Also, a lot of people are using the wrong material and products so this is always a first reply. Hope this makes sense.

Olaf, I'm impressed that Geberit have an eye on this forum
I look forward to hearing the technical response.

@Screwed, @RichD1 It seems that some seals you've used were not in a proper shape. Without having the broken seals we cannot say for what reason they were not working properly.
However, as a standard procedure we offer a quick solution: Get in contact with your local Geberit service team (check out on www.geberit.co.uk) and ask for a replacement.
Having said this: You both may write me an email to corporate.communications at geberit.com (to my attention) with your adress and we will send some seals to you both as a replacement.
Sorry for all the inconveniences this has caused!
Olaf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back