General Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a BT Home monitor (dons flame proof suit and holds the fire extinguisher ready for the flames!) but lately local to us there's been a few break ins and SHMBO is not convinced we're covered, so I come to the people in the know...

The BT kit was always going to be a "stop gap" (it was a bargain price at the time and touch wood hasn't given any trouble) but I do appreciate the benefits of a hard wired system, and with plenty of other DIY jobs to do knocking more plaster off to get the job done right doesn't seem an issue! :eek: (first time for everything!) so whats your opinions on the Texecom kit?
Inparticular Linky

That one... Not cheap but ticks the boxes and the fobs would save trying to explain to my mum xxxxtimes how to set and unset it *sigh* The problem I seem to find is I cant find anyone local to me that seems to fit it (or texecom in general), so secondly looking at that kit is it quite straight forward for someone who's day job is networking/PC's and claims to be quite a competant DIYer?

Cheers

Rob

Sponsored Links
IMO thats one of the best alarms on the market, and I very rarely install any other brand.

Buying it in a kit like that also works out cheaper than buying the bits seperately.

The kit gives you a good starting point, but you may find you want to add extra devices to the system, which is not a problem.

If you get stuck with installing or programming the system them we should be able to help you through it, but having said that texecom manuals are very comprehensive, and easy to follow.

If your system is reasonably basic then you will be able to program it through the keypad. For more complicated systems it is much easier and quicker to use the PC software and connection dongle, but it is probably a bit overkill if you are installing this as a one off.

Sponsored Links
I do like that all in kit... Are the suppliers in the link I provided ok? Or can a similar kit setup be obtained elsewhere (always trying to eek out a few more bits for my cash!)

The only query I have on that particular kit would be, would you leave it with the standard PIRs as supplied or perhaps upgrade them? I'm debating whether I should be looking at supposed 'pet friendly' ones having 1 dog (collie sized) and 2 cats which pretty much have free run of the house. Also whats your opinions on fitting contacts to windows (double glazed upvc) when I asked an installer (who suggested GardTec can't find the quote now damn) he seemed to think just PIRs and contacts on front and back doors (with shed added as an extra)

Finally would you add in fire detection to a home install? I know this is quite a hot bed of debate (no pun intended!) just curious as we have it currently on the BT setup (works independantely of the panel as well) and having both the detector and the panel sounding (loud enough and different enough to alarm mode to wake me up and wonder what the hell was going on!) when a lamp tried to set some curtains on fire :(

my 2p worth:

pet detectors are great, at detecting pets. dont bother with them.
cats can and do jump onto things, so they come into view of the pet detector. were they such a good idea?

(i have a mate who despite what i told him, he had them fitted, guess what, they are now dissconected, another mate who works for an alarm Co. long story, short version, customer insisted on pet detectors, nothing but false alarms, turned out cat was jumping on back of settee, only when owner not in, no more pet detectors for him)

Some will say no problem with pet detetors, but they would say that wouldnt they, often you can walk low down (or crawl) where there is a pet detector and it will not go off

The only trouble free way with pets is to lock them in a room (depending on door handle, some cats can open doors) and have pirs as and where required.

But as you have a cat and a dog, you cant do this, you are going to have to window contacts, which will be a pain to do, and not look that nice.

dont bother with shock sensors on windows, same problem as contacts, also if some one does hit a window, football, bird etc its a false alarm, or if some one tries to get in and sets off the alarm, its a false alarm. No really it is. although the alarm did its job, you don't know it was some one trying to get in, so it was a false alarm. (or so you think)

smoke detectors on an intruder alarm BAD idea.

it luls you into a false sense of security (no punn intended)

unless you have several sounders aound the house there is no g'tee it will wake you up if there is a fire. Yes if you are watching tv etc then it may be of some use, but not generally.

I have often wondered, with a texecom being able to TXT it says you have a fire, what do you do?
phone fire brigade from differnt county (assuming you work away from home) and say my house is oin fire because my burglar alarm says so, please tell the fire brigade in the county where i live, or do you rush home, getting speeding ticket, or have an accident to find out it was eiather a false alarm or some one is cooking and burnt something

some times, not knowing is better (less to worry about)

If you want fire detection get interlinked smoke detectors, thats why they are interlinked, to make lots of noise. or (if you have the money) get a proper fire alarm.

I recently fitted a Honeywell Accenta alarm.

http://www.security.honeywell.com/uk/intruder/products/co/ac/141510.html

Pretty easy to install and setup, wired the whole lot in 8 core alarm cable, I used Guardall DTSx+ sensors and a couple of 111db Sound Bombs.

As for cats, we give ours the run of upstairs and the hallway during the day so these PIR's are disabled but the upstairs window switches are still active, at night they are confined to a single room, depends how well behaved they are I guess.

We've not had any false alarms so far using Bosch Dual Tech Blue Line detectors and my cats inevitably end up running over the dining table when they're chasing each other round and it is in direct line of sight of the detector. We have four of these detectors in various positions in the rooms the cats have access to (open plan) and I've tried to do a mission impossible without setting off the detectors but I always get picked up.

The literature says they have an algorithm to differentiate between human movement/size and animal movement/size. Whether or not you believe that, they seem to be operating how I'd like them to.

Cheers for your honesty Breezer... Especially regarding the smoke/fire alarm.. The only reason we have one with the current system is because it came with it as part of the deal...

As for the pet detectors interesting comments from all... I'll admit the sensors I currently have are not listed as being specifically pet detectors and touch wood (cross fingers etc etc etc...) they've had full run of the house with the system fully armed and only once triggered the alarm.
Talking of detectors, is the any recommendations (possibly throw this one at RF the resident Texecom evangelis <you can pop the cheque in the post now!>) dual channel? Plain and simple??

On the other hand I possibly have to disagree about an alarm TXT'ing an alert to you... I'd like that, Ok I might not be able to do something while enjoying Florida (wishfull thinking!!! more like soggy cornwall!) but we've family quite local who'd just go look if it alerted them.

Always one looking for a bargain... Similar kit Even do one sans PIRs so if advised to avoid the basic ones I could just order that kit and pick and choose the PIRs.

...............but we've family quite local who'd just go look if it alerted them..................

of course they will, even if its 3 o'clock in the morning :LOL:
mind you at least when you get back you can look in the log and find out what time they really came round.

Other thing is, what if you are not on holiday, and at work, what will you do then?

Talking of detectors, is the any recommendations (possibly throw this one at RF the resident Texecom evangelis <you can pop the cheque in the post now!>) dual channel? Plain and simple??

I would choose to fit dualtech PIRs where I could, but stick with the decent brands. You won't go wrong with Honeywell, Optex, Texecom and Bosch.

I would choose to fit dualtech PIRs
contradiction in terms there.

dueltech is what a PIR / Microwave movement detector is commonly called.

Apologies.

I would choose to fit dualtech sensors where I could, but stick with the decent brands. You won't go wrong with Honeywell, Optex, Texecom and Bosch.

Of course you can fit a fire detection circuit to a security alarm, if it is designed to accept one & sound differently.

Depending upon the control panel, it is possible that they sound the alarms differently and/or enable additional relays to supply power to fire alarms sounders.

You can fit a sounder in the bedroom for that.

Maybe not with a cheap alarm panel, but some of the good ones can do this.
(Although I cannot remember which).

Personally, having a cat I wont bother with PIR's, instead have good locks & every entrance with contacts on. But then my panel will be a cheap crappy return from work. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back