General Advice

Maybe not with a cheap alarm panel, but some of the good ones can do this.
(Although I cannot remember which).

i doubt you will remember. Fire alarms are also 24 v intruder alarms are 12 v

I should point out out, i never said you can not add an additional sounder (in the bedroom), i implied that no one does, which is true, because most intruder alarms only have an internal sounder, a speaker and an external sounder (if they are lucky) no additional sounder in the bedroom.

in general most will not bother assuming that the different sound will wake them.
Yesterday for example, i had a "problem" here loads of noise, and i mean loads, mrs breezer slept right through, never stirred.

Sponsored Links
Some panels will sound a different sound if the fire input is activated (my accenta mercury did), some panels have outputs that can be used for fire (so can sound whatever you want....) such as the galaxies.

To be honest, a internal panel speaker on its own would not suit me, I would also sleep straight through that, and I would not hear the external sounder when asleep (not much chance of hearing it when awake half the time either!)

You can get 12v smokes with relays so they can be connected to a intruder alarm, and if you get the ones with their own sounders built in then you have the sound of the smoke alarm + whatever sound your alarm system makes (plus if you get the 12v relay with interconnect, you could interconnect them to all sound, not doing that though)

I will be fitting (got the various bits, just need to get some time) 2 shiny red fire sounders (12v), 2 nice red strobes (12v) all internal.
Plus 3 elmedene scb internal sounders, and 2 internal extension speakers, plus got a couple of normal strobes that I may use.

Got a few 12v smokes to go up also, but still keeping some normal smokes up 'just in case'

2 shiny red fire sounders (12v), 2 nice red strobes (12v) all internal.

I'd personally want white ones in my house, but I know what you're saying.

The texecom premier will also allow you to do all the stuff like powing external devices if a fire activation happens.

I have mine wired to switch on an emergency light on the stairs when the system is triggered into fire mode.

You could also wire it to switch on ceiling lights etc. to help with waking you up quickly.

Gentlemen, i never said that you can not add additional sounders, i said that you don't.

Your average joe bloggs will assume that by adding a smoke detetor to an intruder alarm that the existing sounders will be loud enough to wake joe up. But fire alarm regs say you should have a sound level test done and aditional sounders as required. In other words lots more sounders and one in the bedroom.

But as i said the average joe bloggs doesnt, not that you cant.

Sponsored Links
Must admit, I'd assumed most people would put an additional sounder in as standard? As that was my planned intention, at least 1 in the kitchen and possibly a 2nd in the hall. If I thought they weren't loud enough I'd deffinetely consider something for the landing. My thoughts around that weren't initially for the fire alarm issues, more for the arguement make it LOUD and hope it's annoying enough that joe scrote gives up.

Looks like I opened a whole can of worms tho with the fire detectors...

the truth is most people do not install an alarm themselves, they get a company or some one else to do it.
But the main question is "how much is it?"

so take company A and company B

company B know they must quote the same as company A but they also know to be reliable it requires an additional sounder, so they add that to the cost.

The person who wants the alarm is not interested / doesnt believe company B so company A gets the job.

some time later company A have to install the additional sounder just like company B said in the first place, company A charge more as its a later addition, and compny B still lose out.

particuly now, people will watch the cost and often it costs more in the long run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back