Generator not starting!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, after some googling i stumbled across this site, and your wisdom and knowledge appears to be infinite, so.. i thought id pop a question if you would be so kind as to answer it :rolleyes: :D

basically, ive had a generator in storage since october, when it was last used.

it has come out to play again for summer, except it is just a heap of metal since it is failing to start. im quite nooby at this stuff but i try my best. after reading another topic here, i tried draining the petrol and putting fresh in incase it was stale. i also checked the spark plug, which looked in good condition. i also check the dipstick, and the level is fine on it. im a little baffled onto what the problem could be :?: :?:

Any help is MUCH appreciated guys, i really need this for september! :eek:

Thanks in advance if you could help :mrgreen:

EDIT: Ps, it started for about 15 seconds yesterday, but it was abnormally chuggy and then it died again and the exhaust smoked a little.

also, the model is a Makita G2700k.

Sponsored Links
hi, that is the thread i first read that brought me to this forum,

im not really sure what a carb is or how to drain it (noob ere)

would this be the carburettor? if so, how would i go about draining it?

pice.jpg

thanks in advance.. :)[/img]

I think we're looking at the air filter here from the pic, and if its over dirty or oily then it could well cause the chugging - similar to the choke being on, in fact. Take the air cleaner off and see if the thing starts up ok. Although the fuel has been in since October it should still be reasonably ok. If still no joy then its carb off for a jolly old clean, using a toluene based aerosol carb cleaner and compressed air if possible...checking fuel lines and any filters as you go. Nothing much to carb cleaning really - just don't lose any bits and if you undo any spring loaded screws, count how many turns in there are before unscrewing them. Cheers John

Sponsored Links
Apart from any mechanical malfunction like loss of compression/engine damage your generator has somehow?! suffered by sitting in storage there is three things a petrol engine needs to start.

fuel, air and spark.

Good idea to check/remove air filter, this will eradicate one of the above (air). If it still does not start then next quick and easy check is as follows.

Remove the spark plug, put it back on the plug lead and rest the sparky side next to any metal part of the generator.

while trying to start the generator look and see if you can see a spark being produced from the plug (should be nice and blue).

just read r896neo link, sound advise.

no spark nd then you need to work back from the plug and see why.

If you have a good spark then you have proven air and spark so then fuel most likely at fault.

A logical diagnostic method is always the best way to fault trace.

no thats not the carb. if you follow the line down from the fuel tank it will go into a part next to the choke. there should be a metal dome upside down by it, with a bolt or screw underneath. undo that and that will allow the dome to come off. clean that out. (hope that makes sense.)

another bit of advice ive been given by a tool hire service guy is to take the spark plug out and spray a few squirts of wd40 or similar into the spark plug hole. seems to help ignition somewhat!

thanks so far guys! your all oozing with knowledge! really appreciate your time to help me..

im gunna try out these suggestions tomorrow or teusday, thanks!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back