Generators....

Sponsored Links
I've painted one and a half fence panels already! Just watching the paint dry now. (y)

The following is the sort of statement I used to get from colleagues who thought the piece of paper granted to them by an examining body meant they knew everything and they then compounded this idea by sticking their chest out as they pranced around in front of others saying how much better they are than everybody else.
As I said before I am usually right. I engage brain before hitting keyboard.

Time and time again they made similar mistakes as others, and yes everybody makes mistakes.
Most manage their mistakes and/or consult with their team, others blame every one else but themselves.

Sponsored Links
The following is the sort of statement I used to get from colleagues who thought the piece of paper granted to them by an examining body meant they knew everything and they then compounded this idea by sticking their chest out as they pranced around in front of others saying how much better they are than everybody else.
As I said before I am usually right. I engage brain before hitting keyboard.
Time and time again they made similar mistakes as others, and yes everybody makes mistakes.
Most manage their mistakes and/or consult with their team, others blame every one else but themselves.
Let's be honest, that sort of statement does not bode well amongst a team of professionals who otherwise work together.

BBC could mean something other than the British Broadcasting Corporation. :whistle:

Hi John, just for info, helium and hydrogen gas both have specific heat capacities in excess of water (and higher than steam)
Indeed they do - which is precisely why I said that I am aware of no "solid or liquid material/substance" which has a higher specific heat than water - and, in any event, I doubt that many kettles are made out of hydrogen or helium gas :)

Kind Regards, John

Hi Guys.
Mum has asked me to let you know that my step Dad had been affected by Alzheimers for a number of years, he had some really bad days but on the good days he and Mum had been following a number of Forums including this one.
Tom joined the Army in 1956 and spent 13 years in the RE's until a medical discharge in 1972, he worked for Radio Rentals & Ecko for a year each then while working for Burns Radio he did some contracting work for BBC Radio Medway (Where he met Mum) and some other local radio stations before Joining BBC full time in 1977 until 2002. It never ceased to amaze me when he spoke of the projects he worked on, particularly how he managed to climb the towers with his bad foot.

Dad had a massive stroke during lunch on April 11th, sadly he caught Covid19 in hospital and we lost him on April 28th after spending 17 days in a very confused state and the last 5 days drifting in and out of a consciousness.

Sandy.

I am aware of no solid or liquid material/substance which has a higher specific heat than water - so, for once, I think that winston is actually right.

Kind Regards, John

Liquid ammonia apparently, though TBH I thought ammonia was a gas at room temperature?

Despite being a substance of abundance and generally taken for granted by us all, Water is quite fascinating, it doesn't confirm to "at face value" norms. It's a liquid at room temperature, odd as hydrogen sulphide is a gas at room temperature. It's less dense in it's solid state than it is as a liquid. Good job it is as otherwise there probably wouldn't be any life on earth. It has as noted a very high specific heat, this is goes some way to explaining why it's a liquid at RT (well the other way round really)

Last edited by a moderator:
Liquid ammonia apparently ...
It seems that you are right - but I did only say "I am not aware of..." and don''t pretend to 'be aware of' everything :) Maybe I should have added 'at room temperature' since, as you go on to say ...
... though TBH I thought ammonia was a gas at room temperature?
Indeed. I think the boiling point (at terrestrial atmospheric pressure) is around -33°C.
Despite being a substance of abundance and generally taken for granted by us all, Water is quite fascinating, it doesn't confirm to "at face value" norms. It's a liquid at room temperature, odd as hydrogen sulphide is a gas at room temperature. It's less dense in it's solid state than it is as a liquid. ... It has as noted a very high specific heat, this is goes some way to explaining why it's a liquid at RT (well the other way round really)
Yes, totally unique, and quite intriguing - and also ubiquitous, not only on earth but we seem to be finding increasing evidence of it being pretty common throughout the solar system and probably the entire universe.
Good job it is as otherwise there probably wouldn't be any life on earth.
I suspect that one probably needs to 'think out of the box' about that one, since that statement relates primarily to 'how things have come to be' on earth.

I would imagine that the early development and evolution of any sort of life probably requires some sort of liquid medium, but I'm not sure that it necessarily has to be water. As far as I am aware, there is (for fairly obvious reasons) relatively little known about 'non-aqueous chemistry', let alone about what equivalents of aqueous biochemical processes might be possible in a non-aqueous liquid environment - so I don't think that it is a foregone conclusion that life could not have evolved on earth (or anywhere else) had the temperature been such that the predominant/'ubiquitous' liquid been, say, methane or ammonia, rather than water. Similarly, further down the evolutionary road, I don't know that it's necessarily a foregone conclusion that 'land life' could not evolve in an atmosphere which contained something other than oxygen (and CO2).

Kind Regards, John

I think the bit about life on earth, pertains to the fact that ice is less dense than water, if it weren't then obviously it would sink and not offer any insulation leading to more and more freezing, therefore in ice ages the oceans would have frozen solid, instead of staying liquid underneath.

Hi Guys.
Mum has asked me to let you know that my step Dad had been affected by Alzheimers for a number of years, he had some really bad days but on the good days he and Mum had been following a number of Forums including this one.
Tom joined the Army in 1956 and spent 13 years in the RE's until a medical discharge in 1972, he worked for Radio Rentals & Ecko for a year each then while working for Burns Radio he did some contracting work for BBC Radio Medway (Where he met Mum) and some other local radio stations before Joining BBC full time in 1977 until 2002. It never ceased to amaze me when he spoke of the projects he worked on, particularly how he managed to climb the towers with his bad foot.

Dad had a massive stroke during lunch on April 11th, sadly he caught Covid19 in hospital and we lost him on April 28th after spending 17 days in a very confused state and the last 5 days drifting in and out of a consciousness.

Sandy.

@Sandy,

I am sorry to hear of your loss - much too frequent in these uncertain times. Thank you for letting the forum know. Please stay safe.

Detlef.

I think the bit about life on earth, pertains to the fact that ice is less dense than water, if it weren't then obviously it would sink and not offer any insulation leading to more and more freezing, therefore in ice ages the oceans would have frozen solid, instead of staying liquid underneath.
I suppose that's true, but it doesn't alter what I said ... that if the temperature (and temperature excursions) of the earth (or any where else) had been/were such that it was always in the range at which methane or ammonia (or whatever) was always liquid (and that that was the liquid which made up our oceans etc.) then, dependent upon what is possible 'chemically', it's not impossible that life might have evolved in that medium.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back