Generic Boiler Installation Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Question/query for any pro plumber/heating engineers out there... bear with me as this is my first posting.

Essentially my mother-in-law had to have her boiler replaced about 2 years due to the old one failing - it had a long life prior to this. About 6 months ago we noticed one of the older rads corroding and replaced it - this was the start of a whole series of major problems ultimately culminating in the new boiler having to be replaced again about 2 months ago, under warranty thankfully.

I've since noticed on a recent visit another newer rad corroding and am starting to think there's a significant problem somewhere. My first guess would be that there's no or little inhibitor in the system but wondered if there is anyway of testing? My father-in-law before passing away would have regularly maintained the system, so my only current guess is that when the new boiler (original) was installed the company didn't put cleaner/inhibitor into the system when commissioning the boiler.

First question then is would it be common practice to power flush and or clean then add the necessary levels of inhibitor when installing a new boiler?

Second question... if its not the inhibitor levels in the system what else could be causing the corrosion - it looks like oxygen is getting in somehow but there are no obvious leaks.

Grateful for any ideas.

Sponsored Links
There is a requirement to flush a new system or were a new boiler is installed on an old system , there is no requirement to power flush , although in some case's it might be advisable ???

Do you have e feed & exp tank in the loft ?? have you checked to see if there is any pumping over , circulation in this tank , there should not be !!!

Inhibitor's these should be present , many or all boiler manu's would probably walk away from any in-warranty claim if none is present !! there are various testing kit's that test for the presence of inhibitor's or you can draw off some system water from say a rad air vent into a jar put some steel nail's into the water / jar they should not go rusty if in hibitor is present in the correct concentration if it is not the nail's will start to rust in a few day's !!! what boiler have u got ???

Sounds like there is fresh water passing through the system.

In other words there is a significant leak somewhere and the water is being continually replenished causing huge corrosion problems.

Sponsored Links
It is likely that the original boiler failed due to an untraced leak on the system, the radiators are now meeting the same fate. it is vital that the leak is found and rectified otherwise the new boiler and radiators will be in jepardy!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back