Getting A Smart Gas Meter Fitted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I'm looking at getting a smart gas meter fitted , BUT.. concerned about the equipontal bonding.
I've looked into routing the earth cable which will be a big job. I was going to do the job before getting the meter.

Am i right in thinking that if they turn up, they'll make a fuss about having the equipontal bonding fitted? or will they just put a sticker on the meter to say it needs doing?

Sponsored Links
No they will fit meter and just leave you a card informing you it needs doing .

I tried to get a smart gas meter fitted at my mothers house, and they refused unless I also got the electric meter done. Did not want a smart electric meter, did not want the supply company to be able to turn off supply remotely, so to me a non starter.

However the gas boiler had no indicator to show output, seem to remember between 10 and 28 kW, knowing output would have helped setting up the system.

However safety wise with a TN-C-S supply you need to ensure the gas supply is not bonded before the electrical isolator block, or a PEN fault can melt the gas pipe, and if the electrical isolator block exists, and you have RCD protection, then no need to bond after it, so can't see the gas supply company being that interested in lack of bonding.

Sponsored Links
Out of interest, do they do both as a matter of course? (Gas and electric)
I am not concerned with the anti smart meter paranoia but as I am due to get a visit on 1sept, I want to make sure that they do both.
I find meter readers just turning up as a PITA. They are in my very full garage and allowing access is intrusive

Hopefully they will do both as just one is a waste of time

Wow, didn't think about the supplier being able to cut electric off remotely. Blimey!

Ive got the smart electric meter, but when i changed supplier, they cancelled the gas meter. I thought it was an independent fitter., Anyway, thanks for the advise.

They can cut you off regardless of what meter you have.
Digging up the road if needed

I tried to get a smart gas meter fitted at my mothers house, and they refused unless I also got the electric meter done. Did not want a smart electric meter, did not want the supply company to be able to turn off supply remotely, so to me a non starter.

However the gas boiler had no indicator to show output, seem to remember between 10 and 28 kW, knowing output would have helped setting up the system.

However safety wise with a TN-C-S supply you need to ensure the gas supply is not bonded before the electrical isolator block, or a PEN fault can melt the gas pipe, and if the electrical isolator block exists, and you have RCD protection, then no need to bond after it, so can't see the gas supply company being that interested in lack of bonding.
The smart gas meter communicates via the electricity meter. Suppliers will not remotely disconnect despite what various doom mongers may say. Imagine the public uproar if they did! Something the consumer rights programmes and the red tops would lap up.

The smart gas meter communicates via the electricity meter. Suppliers will not remotely disconnect despite what various doom mongers may say. Imagine the public uproar if they did! Something the consumer rights programmes and the red tops would lap up.
dont kid yourself at present gas companies are currently changing smet1 smart meters for newer versions telling people its an age related thing with the meter but once people go into debt by the press of a button in the office these new meters become pre payment meters , saves them going to court for warrants to change them

dont kid yourself at present gas companies are currently changing smet1 smart meters for newer versions telling people its an age related thing with the meter but once people go into debt by the press of a button in the office these new meters become pre payment meters , saves them going to court for warrants to change them
Yet another reason not to have one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back