Getting an extension underway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per my thread here:

//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/house-purchase.455664/

What would be required to get this project underway? Would i need to employ a structural engineer and somene to do full drawings? If the extension were 3m x 7m, would i need full planning? Or is this permitted development? Would i still need to inform the council though? My understanding is that they still need to consult immediate neighbours?

Any advice on this would be useful as it feels like a minefield of conflicting information , thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would recommend if you are bringing in a builder and want to keep control of cost to get fully specified drawings done exactly how you want them, you both know what's what and prices can be calculated on them.

As for the planning that's out of my skill set to advise.

Your extension would be more than half the width of the existing house and therefore you need planning permission. The only conflict is that some inspectors have found otherwise in certain appeals but these usually have other factors involved and you can't guarantee getting the same result. The bottom line though is why go through all that pain and hassle finding out when you could simply apply for planning which will likely be approved. My advice is find a good local plan drawer to make an application for you. Chartered surveyor or technician would do as long as they are PI insured. The planning drawings would then be developed into building regulations and construction drawings if/when you get your planning. You will save the cost of the drawings at the pricing and construction phase because good drawings reduce uncertainty and lead to a more successful build.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back