Getting good fixing for wall hung vanity unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I’m going to need to fix either a basin or vanity that has to be wall hung. I’m concerned about what’s behind tiles not being great for good fixings

My wall make up is bricks-thick ancient plaster-dot and dabbed plaster board then the tiles.

The bricks are probably about 3” from finished wall and old too.

If I drill and hit drywall adhesive that would probably be ok but if I feel I drill straight through the plasterboard, should I maybe try to squirt one of these epoxy resin things into my fixing hole, then re-drill?

Something like this

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug...MIy-WGxdbz5AIV2OF3Ch1qEw1wEAQYAiABEgJ4yvD_BwE

Never used likes of it before.
Sound a plan?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply. Hmm, dunno tbh. I was trying to fix timber stud to the opposite wall with quite heavy long screw bolts and it seemed bit of a hit or miss to get a good fixing!

In old (Victorian) brick and stone walls it sometimes can be. We often hit cavities when drilling for steel ledgers not to mention ropey brickwork and big gobs of mortar thrown in where the brickie thought it would never be found. On some walls between 1/3 and 1/2 of the holes we drill won't carry full weight. Personally not keen on Rawlbolts and the like in really old masonry as it is not unknown for a shield to crack a brick

Sponsored Links
In old (Victorian) brick and stone walls it sometimes can be. We often hit cavities when drilling for steel ledgers not to mention ropey brickwork and big gobs of mortar thrown in where the brickie thought it would never be found. On some walls between 1/3 and 1/2 of the holes we drill won't carry full weight. Personally not keen on Rawlbolts and the like in really old masonry as it is not unknown for a shield to crack a brick

Exactly my feels about it. Any further suggestions, if it'll squirt in through a drilled tile is my idea a decent one?

Hi Silver50, whilst I haven't used them it might be worth while using an an injection sleeve to prevent the resin from dropping in to the void.

eg https://www.fischer.co.uk/en-gb/pro...chor-sleeves/injections-anchor-sleeve-fis-h-ki

Thinking aloud.. I wonder if you could grease up a screw, drive it in to the resin and then remove it once the resin has cured and then use that screw when it comes to fitting the vanity unit.

I have never tried to drill through resin but I would be concerned that the drill bit would try to deviate past it and into a softer substrate.

Another alternative might be GripIt fittings but given that you have tiles over dot'n'dab, you would need to by a suitably sized tile drill bit and then the GripIt undercut bit to remove a bit of the back of plasterboard so that the fixing wings can be opened.

The injection sleeves are a good idea and save on resin. The ones I've used in the past look like a sort of fine mesh bag. As to drilling resin, I wouldn't try it (again). Its a bit like trying to drill a very hard plastic, such as HDPE, with a blunt drill. You tend to run off a lot and struggle to make any headway.

To the OP: resin cartridges generally come with a couple of mixer tubes and a couple of plastic tubes to extend the reach of the nozzle. If you use resin make sure that you clear out dust from the hole (hole pump , vacuum or hole brushes) and drill all the holes before using the resin as it sets very quickly in the mixer tube.

I like your thinking opps, thanks for that

Those perforated Fischer inserts are good to know about and certainly quite interesting. Great idea

As everyone can imagine it’s tricky to know exactly where and what you’ve drilled into in this situation. I’ve done it now and basically what I chose to do was drill in quite far (maybe around 4.5”-5”) for a frame fixing screw and it’s associated plug.

Not saying this was perfect in light of (as your info points out) not knowing exactly where my resin was going but I liberally squirted in the above resin product (link at top). Inserting the plug straight away the plug was tough to insert so I think it was forcing its way through the still soft resin.

I then concluded that the plug was very likely held in very well to then screw in the fixing screw. Seemed to work well. Definitely above all gave a feeling of confidence. With three either side of the vanity unit (some extra brackets I installed) and a top centre one for good measure, I’m not going to try it, but I think you could probs sit on the vanity unit ok!

Thanks J+K too. Yes, I blasted some air into each drilled hole then tried to vacuum it too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back